Thoughts on electrical set up

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mariner
80-90 Mem No: 9916

Thoughts on electrical set up

Post by mariner »

Hi all. Having remade my back locker and top locker I'm about to embark on the main unit. I intend to move the leisure battery from under the passenger seat and house it in the main unit, along with the split relay and solar unit I have. Before I do, I'd really appreciate anyone's thoughts on the electrical set up I have - is it set up as well as it could be? Am i missing anything? Do I have too much? etc

Basic set up goes as follows, working backwards from the main battery.

Running to/from main battery - stereo and alarm (one or both which is causing slow battery drain), split relay to leisure battery

Running to/from leisure battery - fridge (12v), zig unit (powers lights only), split relay from main battery, solar (120w)

Running to/from zig - lights, 240v hook up, 12v usb

I may add a separate battery charger to the 240v hook up as the zig tends to get very hot when in charging mode.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
1985 Super Viking with Subaru EJ22 (formerly 1.9 petrol DG)
1981 air-cooled 2.0 high top

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Re: Thoughts on electrical set up

Post by Mocki »

It’s down to personal choice .
Firstly, i dont think running a VSR as a split charge is good idea when using solar and mains charger unless you want to charge your main and leisure batteries as one big battery
I also wouldnt bother with the zig thing, i would favour a separate mains charger , much more reliable, as those zig units are very primitive
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

mariner
80-90 Mem No: 9916

Re: Thoughts on electrical set up

Post by mariner »

Yeah, tend to agree with that Mocki. Had the split relay before the solar to give a bit back to the leisure battery when driving so just sort of kept it in play. Largely to keep a trickle feed from the leisure to the main to compensate for the battery drain I haven't got round to sorting out! I guess  got sentimental about the zig! Wouldn't want to charge the battery with it but kept it for the lights as part the original van. Unlike the scooby engine, new units, power steering, front spoiler...!  :lol:
1985 Super Viking with Subaru EJ22 (formerly 1.9 petrol DG)
1981 air-cooled 2.0 high top