Distributor Identification 'AZ20J'

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Re: Distributor Identification 'AZ20J'

Post by ajsimmo »

The powerspark unit is ok, but without the retard function you may have some difficulty getting your idle down low enough (whilst still staying smooth with good emissions).
As a CU is timed to 5°ATDC with vacuum connected you need to compensate for that. The retard function usually knocks it back around 12°, so your new setting without retard connected is 7°BTDC. Make sure there's no vacuum from the left carb at idle, but it should be instantly there upon a slight throttle opening (fully warmed up, off choke).

Sent from my moto g(30) using Tapatalk

The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

Rosie n' Jim
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Rosie n' Jim »

I can't find any mention of carbs in your posts. Cold you confirm that you still have the original pair of Solex carbs? Without these you wouldn't get a vacuum retard signal.
1982 Holdsworth poptop. 2L CU Aircooled.
1982 Danbury tintop Caravelle. 2L CU Aircooled.

sarran1955
80-90 Mem No: 6754
Location: 6, les Hauts de Sarran 19800, Sarran ,Limousin ,FRANCE

Post by sarran1955 »

Hello,

Here is a set-up for CU 2L, twin solex, Power spark 034 SVDA...

Carbs and dizzy now running in Scotland...

Cordialement,

:ok

AdamKeelan

Post by AdamKeelan »

davidoft1 wrote: 04 Feb 2023, 14:44
AdamKeelan wrote: 04 Feb 2023, 13:52 Oh that's a really kind offer David thank you but I'm now sorted - I've bought a Powerspark dizzy 034 type with electronic ignition and coil as well. Thanks to all who responded again.

With vacuum advance too?

The type 4 distributors slightly different running an advance and a retard too

Yes it has single vacuum advance but no retard as per the video above - I'm going to give it a go and see how I get on ta.
T25 Devon 2.0 CU Engine Aircooled 1982

AdamKeelan

Post by AdamKeelan »

Rosie n' Jim wrote: 05 Feb 2023, 07:52 I can't find any mention of carbs in your posts. Cold you confirm that you still have the original pair of Solex carbs? Without these you wouldn't get a vacuum retard signal.

Ah well I'm not expecting a retard signal tbh - I've got an EMPI 32/36 style progressive carburettor fitted along with an 009 distributor. https://youtu.be/uRKOEQ-TFNk
I've tracked down its adjustment video - it has a vacuum advance port only currently blocked off but I intend to use it for VA once I install the new Sparkright distributor. Am I right in thinking that I should set timing with vacuum disconnected with an SVDA to 7.5 BTDC. More importantly - am I making a terrible error here ?! Thanks for your advice/interest!

AdamKeelan

Post by AdamKeelan »

ajsimmo wrote: 05 Feb 2023, 02:54 The powerspark unit is ok, but without the retard function you may have some difficulty getting your idle down low enough (whilst still staying smooth with good emissions).
As a CU is timed to 5°ATDC with vacuum connected you need to compensate for that. The retard function usually knocks it back around 12°, so your new setting without retard connected is 7°BTDC. Make sure there's no vacuum from the left carb at idle, but it should be instantly there upon a slight throttle opening (fully warmed up, off choke).

Duly noted thank you - tellingly my idle speed with my  current distributor sounds high - i"m just waiting for a tacho so I can see where I am. I have a confession here - see my other reply - but I have an EMPI 32/36 Progressive carb fitted along with the 009 I intend to replace with the Powerspark. The carb has a vacuum port (currently blocked off obviously) that I intend to use with the new PowerSpark 034 dizzy and am hoping that this should improve things all round including emissions one would hope, although the van did pass its MOT with the current set up. If you've any advice on timing the new SVDA with this carb set up that would be most helpful - but I'm assuming (perhaps wrongly) that it should be a standard 7.5 BTDC with no vacuum connected. Seem to have set hares running here but perhaps I've been selective with the information I've provided! :lol:  

Gavrilo

Post by Gavrilo »

My van had the 32/36 progressive dgv and 009 when I bought it, it was very difficult to start and ran bad, so I replaced the 009 ( originally designed for industrial stationary engines ) with a 034 power spark but found on my dgv ( was not an Empi ) the vacuum port was in the wrong place and advanced the dizzy too soon, I gave up on the dgv and bought a pair of second hand original pdsit's, rebuilt them, fitted along with a wide band air/fuel ratio meter ( from south coast flocking, 100 pounds ) and now starts first time every time and drives really nice. The progressive never worked on my van and seemed to ice up all the time, my advice is if you have trouble with it go back to original, once you understand the pdsit's they are simple to set up. Timing should be set up by removing and plugging vacuum advance (if you have one ), then revving the engine until the mechanical advance stops ( about 3600rpm ) then adjusting distributor to 28-30 degrees, which should be around 8 degrees at 900rpm.   
Last edited by Gavrilo on 07 Feb 2023, 08:56, edited 1 time in total.
1980 2.0 cu 4 speed Viking

AdamKeelan

Post by AdamKeelan »

Gavrilo wrote: 07 Feb 2023, 08:47 My van had the 32/36 progressive dgv and 009 when I bought it, it was very difficult to start and ran bad, so I replaced the 009 ( originally designed for industrial stationary engines ) with a 034 power spark but found on my dgv ( was not an Empi ) the vacuum port was in the wrong place and advanced the dizzy too soon, I gave up on the dgv and bought a pair of second hand original pdsit's, rebuilt them, fitted along with a wide band air/fuel ratio meter ( from south coast flocking, 100 pounds ) and now starts first time every time and drives really nice. The progressive never worked on my van and seemed to ice up all the time, my advice is if you have trouble with it go back to original, once you understand the pdsit's they are simple to set up. Timing should be set up by removing and plugging vacuum advance (if you have one ), then revving the engine until the mechanical advance stops ( about 3600rpm ) then adjusting distributor to 28-30 degrees, which should be around 8 degrees at 900rpm.   
Thanks for this - needless to say I feel I have to give things a go, and currently the van does start fine although I'm convinced whoever set things up has left it with a high idle speed with the choke open . Once I've got my diagnostic bits I'll be braced for seeing what I can do!

AdamKeelan

Post by AdamKeelan »

ajsimmo wrote: 05 Feb 2023, 02:54 The powerspark unit is ok, but without the retard function you may have some difficulty getting your idle down low enough (whilst still staying smooth with good emissions).

Did I ever thank you for this? Sorry - much appreciated and useful thank you!

Boneyt25

Post by Boneyt25 »

I have a 1.9dg engine with a weber 34dat carb.
Its running ok atm. But i started to think about what i would do if the dizzy gives up. I carry other spares but i dont know enough about this bit.. though i have set the timing myself bit it was a while ago now, and was parrot fashion without true understanding of the full mechanical science.

Anyway.
ive identified my current dizzy as ! Bosch 414, 0237023007....
Which i believe is normally found on a 2.0 Aircooled. Mine is obvs a watercooled 1983.

So,
Does this matter ?
Would it run better with something else.?
Is it only the vac advance that would be different?

Note ,
If i recall..
When setting the timing, i took the revs up beyond the vac effect to set it. But i dont know at what revs that was.

Any advice welcome.