Engine I D ?

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

PeteandNikki
80-90 Mem No: 13990

Engine I D ?

Post by PeteandNikki »

Need some help from the diesel gurus on here.
About 5 years ago(when I thought I had more time than it turns out that I actually do have!) I bought from a member on here, a 1.9 TDI and correctly configured loom with key etc to fit to my syncro Doka.
Fast-forward five years and it’s still on the pallet at the back of a barn! I’ve finally realised that I’ll never have the time to fit it so I’m going to sell it.
My quandary is, will it still be ok? It turns freely and has been stored under a sheet in the dry. Also I’ve no record or idea of what specific engine it is.
I’d also be grateful of some idea of its worth? And also the loom.
Id like to offer it for sale on here and want to be confident that it’s in good orders if I sell it as such.(I was assured at the time of purchase that it was)
If it’s likely to have suffered in some way through storage then I’ll sell it as good for a re-build. I’m assuming the loom will still hold a good value.ImageImage

ZsZ
80-90 Mem No: 14899

Re: Engine I D ?

Post by ZsZ »

Should be stored more carefully. That camsaft does not look good. My guess is the cylinder walls have some rust spots too. Might run but won't last long IMO.
For the code my guess is 1Z, but can be AFN too. The turbo and the ECU would tell which one is it.
I am not sure about the prices out there.
Zoltan
1986 Multivan ex-Caravelle. Van since 2006, running mTDi 1Z since 2008 with Fiat Croma 1.9 TDid pump 2008-2019, custom pump since 2019
5spd custom box 4.57 diff + 0.74 5th

PeteandNikki
80-90 Mem No: 13990

Re: Engine I D ?

Post by PeteandNikki »

Thanks for the reply. The cam isn’t actually as bad as it appears in the pics. The brown is in fact not rust but dust stuck to the oil that was it was coated with. A quick wipe reveals nice clean lobes.
I appreciate what you have said and indeed maybe I could have taken a bit more care! I’ve since looked at the box of bits with the loom in and the paperwork indicates that it’s from a 98 Passat and is in fact AHU.
With that in mind I think I’ll list it as suitable for a re-build or someone can take a chance, complete with loom etc.