1.9tdi Oppertunity

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

SimonD
80-90 Mem No: 0

1.9tdi Oppertunity

Post by SimonD »

Hi Guys,

I have been trying to read as much as I can on the forums about the 1.9tdi AHU engine. 

I have had a look on the wikipedia page for VW engine codes.

Amongst others it lists the  SEAT Córdoba Mk1 (1Z: 07/96-12/96, AHU: 12/96-06/99

I have found a 1997 Cordoba with low miles but it is a bit of a trek to get it and the current owner cannot confirm if it is a AHU engine or not. Is there a way I can find out? 

As I will be buying the car I will have all the electronics and wiring loom which should help. The current owner also doesn't know what the HP is of this specific model. 

Thinking about it, will the engine code and HP be on the V5? Hope someone can advise.

Thanks in advance. 

Simon

t25adict

Re: 1.9tdi Oppertunity

Post by t25adict »

If it is a mk1 and definitely a TDI then (tdi should show on the log book) then it should only be an ahu or 1z . fairly sure we did not get AFN tdi cars over here.

there were also AAZ turbo diesel cars at the same time so worth being sure it is not a turbo diesel if you only want TDI.

A clear picture under the bonnet should tell easily what engine it is.

WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough

SimonD

Post by SimonD »

That's cool. Thank you for the advice. Will this be the 90 horse power version?

Please excuse my ignorance, but I thought TDI stood for turbo, diesel, injection. 

Would a turbo AAZ have a little bit more grunt? I only want to go through this process once!

Simon

SimonD

Post by SimonD »

t25adict

Post by t25adict »

the aaz is an earlier non electronic turbo diesel engine, with a cable like a bike brake cable controlling the revs.

the TDI engines are a nice step forward, higher HP + better mpg.  the diesel pump being controlled by and ECU instead.

that looks to be either an AHU or 1Z.

From the slam panel it looks that is a car with aircon, you could leave the AC pump disconnected and in place but better to remove it and used a simpler belt setup. 

if the gearbox is all good that may be worth selling to golf mk2 owners afterwards, as may some other bits of the car.

WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough

Oren Kipnis
80-90 Mem No: 17352

Post by Oren Kipnis »

SimonD wrote: 03 Sep 2022, 17:54 That's cool. Thank you for the advice. Will this be the 90 horse power version?

Please excuse my ignorance, but I thought TDI stood for turbo, diesel, injection. 

Would a turbo AAZ have a little bit more grunt? I only want to go through this process once!

Simon
TDI@VW = Turbo Direct Injection
SDI@VW = Saug Direct Injection (Saug = Suck in German)
TSI@VW = Turbo Stratified Injection (petrol)
FSI@VW = Fuel Stratified Injection (petrol) 

1990 ex. German Army Syncro, 3 knob, AFN, M469 fully converted to 16". Camper conversion by URO CAMPER in Seville.