Replacement Pierburg jets

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

aec
80-90 Mem No: 5469

Replacement Pierburg jets

Post by aec »

I'm rebuilding my Pierburg 2E3 carb.  After a long lay up, I can see the effects (probably) of ethanol in petrol, the main and secondary jets that would have been dipped in the float chamber were pretty green, covered and clogged with corrosion.  Unsurprisingly this doesn't shift with solvents so I resorted to a mild citric acid solution which has sort of cleaned them up but the outer surfaces are still dull/rough and look pitted when magnified. 

They will probably be OK but I was considering swapping them for new replacements to rule out the element of doubt.  Can't seem to find anything specific for Pierburg - are all similar screw-in jets the same size/thread, e.g. those for bike carbs?  Plenty of these on eBay in the correct sizes (102.5/110) for Mikuni bike carbs - I think the thread is the same, size/shape looks similar.  Would these be advisable or is there a better source for "the real thing"?
e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401137399237

1984 1.9DG wbx Autohomes rigid pop top

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Replacement Pierburg jets

Post by Aidan »

main jet is still available from VW classicparts main jet (volkswagen-classic-parts.com)
but if they fit then why not use these ones off ebay

aec
80-90 Mem No: 5469

Re: Replacement Pierburg jets

Post by aec »

I'm giving the Mikuni jets a try.

Same thread size, top part of the jet very slightly larger than the originals, and don't have the slight taper. Photos to compare.

ImageImageImage
1984 1.9DG wbx Autohomes rigid pop top