Solex carb thermostatic valve question

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

PWO1
80-90 Mem No: 0

Solex carb thermostatic valve question

Post by PWO1 »

Hi . Just rejoined The group as mainly use Facebook groups for car stuff now but a bit limited on them sometimes . Does anyone know if there are any blanks or replacement parts for the thermostatic valves on solex carbs . I've searched about them and found out a little but nothing to say whoever I can remove them or replace with similar as one is open and one closed when cold . When heated up the closed one opens but has to be very hot . What do they do and are they needed . If any one can help it would be appreciated.
1982 Aircooled 2ltr Kamper conversion

Rosie n' Jim

Re: Solex carb thermostatic valve question

Post by Rosie n' Jim »

Somewhere, at some point, I found mention of the operation of the thermostatic valve, but can't find it again. As I remember they were considered to be fail proof, clearly not in your case! I think they were meant to enrichen the mixture in cold conditions, so would close when warm. But I'd have to check one or two to confirm. Where are you based, I have several sets of carbs,  I may be able to help out?
1982 Holdsworth poptop. 2L CU Aircooled.
1982 Danbury tintop Caravelle. 2L CU Aircooled.

PWO1

Post by PWO1 »

Thanks . I'm in Scunthorpe in Lincolnshire. They are both no good I think as they have a spring in them that keeps them closed when cold but one sticks open and both need a lot of temperature to expand the wax in them to open them . I see a lot of carbs without them in place but can't find what to plug them up with .
1982 Aircooled 2ltr Kamper conversion

Rosie n' Jim

Post by Rosie n' Jim »

I still can't find the article I'd read some years back, but have taken a look at some spares I have. It appears that it works as an accelerator pump bleed in normal weather. When very cold it closes to increase the volume of fuel pumped in. Mine close if put in the fridge, but are open at room temperature. 
If you wish to blank off these, try blocking the small hole at the head end of the valve. PTFE wrapped around it might work, assuming e10 doesn't dessolve it!
1982 Holdsworth poptop. 2L CU Aircooled.
1982 Danbury tintop Caravelle. 2L CU Aircooled.