Coolant Temperature High

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Scirocogtx
80-90 Mem No: 0

Coolant Temperature High

Post by Scirocogtx »

Hi, I'm new to this forum although I've been a member of various other registers (Scirocco), and am reaching out for some advice on cooling.
My van is a 1982 1.6d cs. engined T25 but since buying it a few weeks ago I'm steadily correcting any faults it has.
The main problem I'm having just now involves the cooling side of things. The temp gauge is running high, literally as high as within a hairs width of the top mark. Things I've done include changing thermostat, coolant change and bleed, swapping top and bottom hoses around leading to old style radiator (fairly new) and swapping them back. I've tried using an infra red thermometer and it shows hose from block reading about 90c, engine block 100c and return from rad hose around 70c. I've ordered a lower temp thermostat to try next.
In my opinion I think the temps are not too bad but am I missing something apart from maybe the guage not working correctly? I'm also hoping that the previous owner who spent a good bit on the engine (overhaul/head gasket) hasn't damaged the head.
Thanks for any help
1982 Hightop 1.6d cs 4speed

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Re: Coolant Temperature High

Post by TONYT25T25 »

Maybe worth doing the sniff test for the coolant.
viewtopic.php?p=8306583&hilit=Sniff+test#p8306583
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX