Seized/ Snapped studs.

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Jilldub
80-90 Mem No: 17525

Seized/ Snapped studs.

Post by Jilldub »

I am in the process of replacing my exhaust system.
 I can foresee a problem with the heat shield and exhaust studs being seized and snapped.
 I have Oxy acetylene and a mig welder but haven’t attempted this type of repair before.
First off, has anyone tried mig welding a bolt to a sheared stud so that removal is possible?
Secondary, what type of temperature is used when heating bolts / studs?
As an example,  ….. warm the bolt / stud until it glows orange then remove immediately OR let it cool slightly before attempting removal?

pbar
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Seized/ Snapped studs.

Post by pbar »

I was looking at my exhaust yesterday with a view to preparing for this scenario in the future too. Mine seem quite corroded so I doubt that welding something on them would be an option as anything but nice shiny metal just won't work, add to that the space limitation and small size. You can try either method which you mention with heating them up, but the thing about that is that the metal expands to lessen it's 'grip', such as a nut you wish to expand to release it from a bolt, but with the studs the heat will expand those and and make them even tighter so probably letting them cool again would be best to try first but I would be worried about damage to the engine. I can see trouble when I do this job, and that carefully drilling them out after they have snapped may be the most viable option. You could also try a heat gun, I've had success with siezed bolts before with one, far less 'angry' than a torch!

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Post by maxstu »

Clean and squirt copious amounts of Plusgas first or brake fluid. Then try a good fitting spanner, working back and forth. If no go....
If bolts, then use heat on the heads. The heads will expand faster and release the bolt...in theory.
With nuts, if stubborn or badly corroded, then use a small cutting wheel. Cut edge of nut to almost the point of cutting into the stud. Then use a small sharp chisel to release clamping pressure by splitting the nut open.
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

pbar

Post by pbar »

maxstu wrote: 08 Aug 2022, 18:03 With nuts, if stubborn or badly corroded, then use a small cutting wheel.

Or use a nut splitter, they're incredibly good.

Although Jilldub is asking about exhaust studs really.

pbar

Post by pbar »

Could also try a stud extractor tool.

Jilldub

Post by Jilldub »

Hi pbar and maxstu.
 I will certainly try the plus gas method followed by heating the studs and nuts.
 I asked about the mig welding method of stud removal because I’ve seen a few videos on YouTube. 
One is titled “Broken LS exhaust bolt removal~ best trick ever”
It gets interesting from about 9 minutes onwards.
The guy in the first half of the video doesn’t know how to use the vice grips correctly as he has them on the bolt the wrong way around.
If you have time, please take a look and let me know what you think.
Many thanks

pbar

Post by pbar »

Jilldub wrote: 08 Aug 2022, 21:51  I will certainly try the plus gas method followed by heating the studs

Be careful if you insist on expanding a stud which is already tight in a hole. You want to heat the area around it really. Things can soon go wrong doing this kind of thing especially with heat, and it could give you one of those 'oh no why did I do that' moments. All the best with it though.

Some info on stud removal here - https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/thr ... ks.114477/

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Post by Stesaw »

Easier to cut/split the nuts and then clean the threads up.
New hardware is cheap enough.
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project

Jilldub

Post by Jilldub »

Stesaw wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 09:07 Easier to cut/split the nuts and then clean the threads up.
New hardware is cheap enough.

Thank you for showing images of the nut splitter.
 I’m not sure it will fit between the nut and the exhaust flange?

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Post by Stesaw »

I didnt have a splitter when I did mine, I carefully drilled holes (making sure I didn't drill into the stud) in the nut til I had a line of holes and then used a metal chisel and opened the nut out from the holes sometimes just doing that was enough to get them to move, some required more persuasion
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Stesaw wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 14:57 I didnt have a splitter when I did mine, I carefully drilled holes (making sure I didn't drill into the stud) in the nut til I had a line of holes and then used a metal chisel and opened the nut out from the holes sometimes just doing that was enough to get them to move, some required more persuasion

WHS ^^^.
It really is the best method for removing crusty nuts. Drill or cut...or any method that release the pressure on the nut to stud will win the day.
Dont bother fannying about with splitters or stud extractors. They are crap for this application.
MaxStu

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

BTW as you are replacing a manky exhaust with a new one, cut it off as close to the heads as possible. Then you have much more room to work on those stud and nuts.
MaxStu

pbar

Post by pbar »

maxstu wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 15:58
Dont bother fannying about with splitters

No, they are brilliant, really, so quick and easy, much better then drilling and hammering, you should get a couple of sizes in your arsenal of tools. However, the opening question refers more specifically to stud extraction, a different thing entirely of course.

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

I think the title is our clue. What to do with seized or snapped studs.
Seized. Split the nut in your preferred way.
Snapped. Dont snap them in the first place is my advice.
Nearly all will come out with two nuts locked together, gentle work with a suitable 13mm spanner and heat on the casing where the stud is located...and not direct heat on the stud itself. Some drip candle wax between the threads too. Messy!
MaxStu

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

I use an induction heater. Usually just heat them to cherry red then undo, stubbon ones heat and then douse with water.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7gjGuBy_IM
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow