Seized/ Snapped studs.

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Re: Seized/ Snapped studs.

Post by TONYT25T25 »

If using plus gas or similar releasing agents along with a naked heat or flame, beware thst plus gas is flammable and will ignite if you mix them together or at the same time.
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX

pbar
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by pbar »

maxstu wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 18:06 I think the title is our clue. What to do with seized or snapped studs.

Yes exactly, that's what I keep saying, can't understand why people keep talking about nuts! :)

pbar

Post by pbar »

TONYT25T25 wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 15:32 If using plus gas or similar releasing agents along with a naked heat or flame, beware thst plus gas is flammable and will ignite if you mix them together or at the same time.

Excellent advice, WD-40 is the same, ever sprayed any on a fire? Big chance of singed eyebrows. Not recommended, unless you want a big chance of singed eyebrows.

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Post by Stesaw »

pbar wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 15:37
maxstu wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 18:06 I think the title is our clue. What to do with seized or snapped studs.

Yes exactly, that's what I keep saying, can't understand why people keep talking about nuts! :)

The OP said he/she forsees a potential for snapped studs, not he/she has snapped studs, or at least thats how it reads to me ;)
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project

Jilldub
80-90 Mem No: 17525

Post by Jilldub »

Trying desperately to remove seized studs and bolts.
 I have sprayed threads several times with plusgas. 
My first attempt I had enough thread protruding through a10mm nut to get a good mig weld but the stud snapped near the yo head.
Second attempt I had enough thread protruding through a thick penny washer to get a decent mig weld, but again the stud snapped. In both cases it was the stud that broke and not the weld.
 I have Oxy acetylene but I’m not sure how much heat I can apply to the cylinder head before creating a further problem.
Can anyone help or any suggestions ?
I will try to attach photos on my next post.Thank you.

Jilldub

Post by Jilldub »

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Post by maxstu »

First cut off exhaust about five inches from head. Then attack the lower bolt. Cut away the exhaust flange around the bolt trying not to damage it or cut into the cylinder head. This purpose is to free off the bolt from the rest of the exhaust system. Use lots of Plusgas too. Cut nearly through and use a small chisel to finally break through.

With the flange detached from the lower bolt try wiggling the exhaust back and forth. This sometimes breaks the corrosion on the upper stud and nut. More Plusgas.

Then use a dremel to slice down side of upper nut and split it with a small chisel.

Cut away rest of exhaust downpipe to expose upper nut and lower bolt. Then more Plusgas and use a decent pair of Kennedy flat jaw lockgrips to extract both. Use a bit of heat too.
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
1987 DG1.9 LPG Auto Autosleeper
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

Jilldub

Post by Jilldub »

Thank you Maxstu.
That has given me incentive to try again before considering engine removal.

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Post by maxstu »

So how's it going?
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
1987 DG1.9 LPG Auto Autosleeper
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

Yes hows it going?  By the way I spotted a few places where bolts have been used - presumably a well intended move at the time but setting up a drilling out operation if - as is likely, the the head snaps off. Using studs and nuts is wiser in my opinion as nuts can be split, ground away or in some places sliced with a cutting disk leaving the recalcant stud for braver times :roll: .

Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

Jilldub

Post by Jilldub »

How’s it going?
Very slowly but surely at the moment.
Recovered after my slight lack of confidence and had another go at mig welding washers and nuts to the sheered studs which hold the pushrod tube covers on.
Couldn’t get any movement so decided to go for drilling and tapping method.
Did one yesterday and will do another today.
Have cut the majority of exhaust pipes off so next move will be to focus on the bolt and nuts as shown in the photo.
Just waiting for some flat jaw grips to arrive.
Looks like it’s going to be a long process but as Maxstu advises “take your time and avoid taking the engine out if possible”.

Technochoc

Post by Technochoc »

Great thread, I've managed to get all the bolts off and the old exhaust, as the studs look a little rough, I was going to replace them with stainless studs and copper bolts.
I was wondering if it's worth the effort of removing the studs ?

Technochoc

Post by Technochoc »

So as an update I have the exhaust off by using the angle grinder and nut splitter. The studs left behind are rough one has snapped but has a bit of meat on it, so I plan to weld a nut to that to get some grip. Heating with a mini blow torch the head and spraying with penetrating oil worked with the others I have four studs out and have run a die with cutting oil through pulled some crap out but threads feel fine. Slowly slowly getting there :D

Thanks for the advice