Claustrophobia

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

matthewp81
80-90 Mem No: 0

Claustrophobia

Post by matthewp81 »

Hiya, New here!

Not sure if this is the right place for this or not?  I've just got an 85 Westy High Top, and love it, except for sleeping in the high top!
I'm 6ft1 and find it very claustrophobic up there. I panic that I wouldn't be able to get out quickly if I needed to and just cant sleep up there.
Family arrangements mean that's where I have to go!  Does anyone have any tips for making it less claustrophobic? I'm thinking dimmable LED strip lights around the top may help a bit?  Luckily, I have bought an awning with sleeping pods, so I can go there most of the time.
But for those times I need to go up there, I could do with getting more comfortable. I want to enjoy it, not dread it!

Cheers, 

Matt

mike9009
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Claustrophobia

Post by mike9009 »

I'm only 5'10" and have never slept in our high top. My fear is constantly banging my head during the night on the fibre glass! Even more so when camping as I like a drink which usually necessitates a toilet stop in the night...... :D :)

So, we always take a largish four man tent with us. Two sleep in the van and two sleep in the tent. (Family of four, two kids).

It also allows us to leave deck chairs, tables, body boards etc. on site whilst we go out for day trips from wherever our base is. Even the kids won't sleep in the high top, but we do find it really useful for carrying all the gubbins needed for a two week camping trip wherever.....

My advice is not much use if sleeping up top is the only available option, but our option works really well for us.......

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Re: Claustrophobia

Post by Mr Bean »

There being only two of us the first thing we did when refurbihing our van was to rip out tthe upstairs bed and make the over cab area into a crockery etc cupboard and the rear over R&R bed into a mainly bedding etc store. Makes for high speed touring stops especially if the bed is folded up made behind the R&R bed.
Re lanky sleeper in confined space:
Lightweight cotton duvet style bedding or 1 1/2 size cotton sleeping bag which opens right down to your feet. That slippery nylon stuff is just too tricky to manipulate when constrained by size or disability.
E D I T:too
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX