Half moon spanner and syncro gearbox nose oil leak....

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

spanishfly
80-90 Mem No: 12044

Half moon spanner and syncro gearbox nose oil leak....

Post by spanishfly »

Pulling off the A30 yesterday on an uphill gradient I suddenly lost all gears. With the engine off went into gear easily but stalled when I tried to start. As I was still on the off ramp and cars and lorries were passing either side of me I had to get it moved and rolling back into holiday traffic wasn't an option so after failing to jump it in 1st, (it stalled) I resorted to 'G'. Starter was able to move it and the 2.1 fired allowing me to get out of everyones way and pull off the road into some mud scrub for a closer look.    

Brake fluid reservoir was full (ish) so went to investigate the slave cylinder. 'Bingo' it wobbled the back bolt was really loose and the front almost out. Lucky for me I had a socket set onboard so tightening the front from underneath wasn't too difficult. The back on the other hand buried as it is behind the water pipes in a syncro is a pig to reach. None of the five 13mm spanners including the old snap on offset I found in cupboards/ corners were of any use at all, the 6th however an old mac tools halfmoon HMM1113R was perfect! I'd never found a use for it that couldn't have been served with another but it's time had come...! Just passing that on in case it helps.
Whilst underneath I noticed oil had collected been sprayed into the underneath of the floor. it wasn't the ideal time what with the family and assorted kayaks and summer holiday adventures to service but was hoping someone might know more? It does look like the oil could have been spraying from the gearbox nose for some time, unnoticed as I've not been in the basement recently, but I'm concerned that the jump start could have been too much for the box and cracked the nose? Is that a thing? I'm sure bump starting in 'G' uphill with the starter isn't good practice but It didn't make any weird noises though it did graunch slightly a couple of times in the next 100 miles. I'm hoping that could just be oil level??? Any pearls much appreciated.
1987 Westy Joker 1.6TD
1987 Dehler Profi 2+2
1988 Syncro RHD panel