Can't find that fuse! - cigarette lighter

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Robsey
80-90 Mem No: 11137

Re: Can't find that fuse! - cigarette lighter

Post by Robsey »

From what I can make out, there is wiring all over the shop.
With 25 reported fuses, that is one heck of a nightmare for an electrician to sort through.

It is a shame that the previous owner didn't keep a record of the modifications that they fitted, or had fitted for them.

It would save so much confusion in situations like this.

Or maybe I am a bit odd, because I draw up ladder diagrams for all my mods, before I make up the looms to suit.

If I was within spitting distance, I could spend a couple of weekends tracing through that lot.
I would also want to remake all those bullet connections with proper soldered and sleeved joints
But that is just me.
1983 Tin Top with a poorly DF and 4 speed DT box.
1987 Electrics and a DJ engine.
Maybe one day I might get it finished

4gearwonder
80-90 Mem No: 4604

Post by 4gearwonder »

...We've had the van 14 years now but the leisure battery has never been used or was there when we bought the van and still that way now.

Generally rely on electric hook up when on site etc. All fuses in the empty Leisure battery bay are okay too, not blown. 

4gearwonder

Post by 4gearwonder »

...just seen your other post R. Yeah, definitely spaghetti there and not the best way to be and can appreciate what 
you're saying about soldering properly etc. If I was nearer to your end, sure It would have been appreciated - and paid for of course! - a wiring health check there.   

It's that old adage tho, 'if ain't broke, then don't fix it' - well bits of it are anyway! That's why a bit reluctant to start tugging on
things etc, but will have to proceed with caution I'm guessing, as don't want knock something else out :cry: Cheers

Robsey
80-90 Mem No: 11137

Post by Robsey »

Lord help me for suggesting this, but as a get you by type thing...

From what I can see in the "normal" fusebox layout, there should be a couple of spare spades behind fuse No7 and No 9.

As mentioned earlier you could fit a 1.5mm red wire from one of the spare spades in the fusebox.

The unfused side of fuse 7,
Or the fused side of Fuse 9 to the spade on the cigar lighter.
But do put an inline fuse close to the fuse box end if using the unfused side of Fuse 7.
(As if you didn't have enough fuses already).

A 15 amp fuse should do it.
- even 5 amp fuse would be enough for charging your gps and mobile phone, whilst you travel.

Unplug and tape up the old red wire to the lighter.
(Just in case).
1983 Tin Top with a poorly DF and 4 speed DT box.
1987 Electrics and a DJ engine.
Maybe one day I might get it finished

4gearwonder

Post by 4gearwonder »

Thanks again Robsey for all your thoughts and time on this one- and everyone else - amigo.

I think you've covered the best possibilities there so I'll have a look again on the weekend and see what's best to do?

I think I will also double check and clean and contact spray every fuse too and also check with a meter too, just to be double sure. 
:ok