Oil Dashboard Light

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

pbar
80-90 Mem No: 0

Oil Dashboard Light

Post by pbar »

Am I right in thinking that the oil light on the dash should illuminate when the key is in the second position then go out when the van is started?

Mine has never illuminated since I've had the van so thought I'd check the bulb. Bulb is fine, so wondering what best to try next, sender switch I assume. But just wondering when this light should come on and how to test. Thanks.

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Oil Dashboard Light

Post by Aidan »

what year van ?
Generally the oil light comes on with the ignition and goes out when engine starts, this shows the low pressure oil switch between the pushrods on left side of engine is working, 3psi.
Later vans with DOPS (buzzer of doom) are slightly more intelligent, if your van is one of those then it may be a wiring issue or a dops issue and there is a higher pressure switch at rear of engine left side of crank pulley which comes into play
Ideally you'd check the wiring and use a wet gauge to find out what the oil pressure actually is in different conditions to ensure the engine is healthy and the warning light is behaving appropriately

pbar

Post by pbar »

Thank you Aiden. It is a 1985 T25. The light has never illuminated at ignition, thanks for verifying how it should work, and it isn't the bulb, so I guess I'll have a look at the sender next.

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

just a thought do you have an oil pressure gauge fitted ? If so then that may be why you don't get the dash light as po may have used the switch hole and the wiring for the tell-tell switch to run the gauge instead

pbar

Post by pbar »

No Aiden, I don't have an oil gauge, just the original light.

By the way, it's a T25 1.9 DG