Gear Linkage - 4 Speed Air Cooled

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

sburch
80-90 Mem No: 0

Gear Linkage - 4 Speed Air Cooled

Post by sburch »

Hi Folks,

Havnt posted in here for a while as Van has been blessfully free of troubles...until now that is :-)

Gear changes up until now have always been a bit stiff but this year have gotten worse to the point I'm now mostly limited to 2nd and 4th and on a few occassions have lost reverse. Just returned from a challenging and very sweary week in Dorset so times come to sort things out - as plenty of others have had to do. 

Have removed the gear lever and linkage for initial inspection and apart from being pretty grubby it actually looks better than I had expected - a few obvious things need replacing but bushes dont look too worn (to my eyes at least). One thing I have noted though and wondered if anyone can comment on - is that the centre and rear rods are not straight.

Heres a pic of the centre rod laid alongside a length of pipe shows a subtle curve rather than running completly straight and which does look like it may have become bent ?

ImageImageImageImage

Probably not the sole source of gear change problems but if it is bent then certainly wont have helped - looks like it can be gentle straightended in a vice.

The second pic is of the rear rod which runs straight up until the the guide pin end where its curves upwards very deliberatly. When comparing to manual illustrations it looks like thats how it should be - but just wanted to check.

I've looked in the WIKI and googled elsewhere however most of the useful threads relate to the 4-gear later models not the earlier Aircooled linkage - so havnt managed to find any images or info for comparison. Also doesnt look like either rods are available as replacements parts only the front. If anyone has any useful links on the early linkage and refurb please feel free to share.

Havnt dismantled the gear lever yet but looks like that may be bent also although its a solid lever so would have taken some force. Apart from being completly floppy looks ok externall, spring hasnt slipped down and front rod bushes look ok. 

Any advice gladly recieved !

Thx

Stu

T25 2.0 CI Kamper Aircooled '82 

CI T25 '82 Aircooled

mike the van
80-90 Mem No: 1491

Re: Gear Linkage - 4 Speed Air Cooled

Post by mike the van »

Hi yes the air cooled linkage has the slight kink in it,  there are several bushes that rods go through, also the join between the two sections can lose alignment. Must likely an issue at the gearstick end or equally the linkage to the gearbox. All parts can get worn or  misaligned.

Why would the rods get bent, they are pretty solid ?

mike

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Re: Gear Linkage - 4 Speed Air Cooled

Post by multisi »

Now the rear rod is off, with your hand operate the double nylon ball bracket on the gearbox and see how each gear goes in. For really good info and pictures get yourself the green Haynes workshop manual, has even got the full gearbox strip down and rebuild info in there.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon