1.9 to 2.1 conversion

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Smiffo
80-90 Mem No: 15151

Re: 1.9 to 2.1 conversion

Post by Smiffo »

Yeh, you seem to have the pierburg setup, which is adequate on the 1.9

Never had a lorry pass me going up hill either.
There are a couple of steep hills near me that I have no issue climbing ( even if it means dropping into third )

Is yours fully loaded and carrying lots of weight?

Also yes, that vac line won’t help with it being disconnected. I suspect it’s been removed for a reason though.

I think the vac lines are used to adjust timing throughout the rev range ( someone will correct me ) so if that is not working, it’s possible that will impact power at different points

Lastly, is it leaking fuel around the carb?
It looks like fresh spillage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'89 1.9 DG

“It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.” ~ Mark Twain.

Jilldub
80-90 Mem No: 17525

Post by Jilldub »

DoubleOSeven wrote: 23 Jul 2022, 14:51 Your 1989 Pierburg 2E3 carburettor will be fine on a 2.1

Thank you.
That’s very helpful.

Jilldub

Post by Jilldub »

Smiffo wrote: 23 Jul 2022, 14:51 Yeh, you seem to have the pierburg setup, which is adequate on the 1.9

There are a couple of steep hills near me that I have no issue climbing ( even if it means dropping into third )

Also yes, that vac line won’t help with it being disconnected. I suspect it’s been removed for a reason though.

I think the vac lines are used to adjust timing throughout the rev range ( someone will correct me ) so if that is not working, it’s possible that will impact power at different points

It is a Holdsworth pop top butI don’t carry any other additional weight, do you think the Holdsworth conversion is a heavy one?
Fortunately the carb isn’t leaking, I used WD40 to clean it so that I could identify which carb was fitted.

Jilldub

Post by Jilldub »

ajsimmo wrote: 23 Jul 2022, 14:51 With first impressions from the evidence from your pics, I would suggest your engine is not running optimally and that is where I would advise you to start.
The vac pipe is probably disconnected because the vacuum advance unit on the side of the distributor has failed. They're under 20 quid and can be swapped in 10 minutes without even removing the dizzy. Whoever did that was either lazy, skint or uninformed. Image It's false economy, quite literally, as it'll use more fuel like that. The vac unit is available from Powerspark (Simonbbc) for about £17, search for Bosch SVDA (single vacuum dual advance).
Then have the ignition timing set by strobe timing light to 5° btdc. A compression test, vacuum gauge check, leakdown test and oil pressure check by an old-school garage will give lots of info on the condition of your engine before you look at replacement. If it's good, you could have the carb refurbed by Bromyard to get the best out of it, maybe pop a Speedshop exhaust on for a small increase in oomph, or you could sell it to part fund the upgrade to 2.1.
If it's not so good, well at least you know and can make informed decisions from there.

Sent from my moto g(30) using Tapatalk
That’s very sound information.
 I will order a vac unit and get it checked and set upas suggested. Coincidentally, I have a new Speedshop exhaust in the garage waiting to be fitted.
Thank you for your help.

triumph2.5pi
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by triumph2.5pi »

Jilldub wrote: 23 Jul 2022, 18:01
Smiffo wrote: 23 Jul 2022, 14:51 Yeh, you seem to have the pierburg setup, which is adequate on the 1.9

It is a Holdsworth pop top butI don’t carry any other additional weight, do you think the Holdsworth conversion is a heavy one?
Fortunately the carb isn’t leaking, I used WD40 to clean it so that I could identify which carb was fitted.

Mine is an Autosleeper high top and usually loaded with loads of stuff, so it's heavy but still didn't struggle to go up hills, even when it had the 1.9 in it. I have Speedshop exhaust also.
1988 Autosleeper High Top
2.1DJ (Pierburg carb)
AAP 5 Speed, 711 Shifter

Smiffo
80-90 Mem No: 15151

Post by Smiffo »

Jilldub wrote:

Mine was a holdsworth before the restoration job.
It was all heavy wood, and the roof weighs a ton, but I never had a truck overtake me.

'89 1.9 DG

“It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.” ~ Mark Twain.

Jilldub

Post by Jilldub »

Hi All.
Here’s an update.
Fitted new vacuum unit to distributor and adjusted the timing- which was running slightly retarded.
Lubricated carburettor springs and linkage.
Adjusted the throttle cable (I guess was only getting 3/4 throttle originally).
Went for a drive and noticed a Massive difference!
Van now accelerates at a reasonable pace, will go way over its original 60 mph on a motorway and actually pulls when going up hills!
Thank you all for help and suggestions 👍

SurfT25
80-90 Mem No: 17059

Post by SurfT25 »

Looking at your photos and being new to the T25 I would suggest getting your fuel pipe replaced with new E5 compatible ones.
Yours look out of date to the new fuel. Also change your fuel filter making sure it is placed by the fuel tank and not in engine bay,fire hazard.
There is also a tiny mesh filter in the fuel pipe where it enters the carb check for debri.
Prepare for the worst but hope for the best

1984 1.9 DG WBX Autohomes hightop

Jilldub

Post by Jilldub »

Hi SurfT25.
Coincidently my new fuel feed and return pipes arrived from brickworks yesterday.
Replaced the gear linkage bushes today so pipes will be my next job.
Thank you for your advice, I appreciate it👍

Robsey
80-90 Mem No: 11137

Post by Robsey »

SurfT25 wrote: 05 Aug 2022, 18:38 Looking at your photos and being new to the T25 I would suggest getting your fuel pipe replaced with new E5 compatible ones.

If you can guarantee that you will always use super unleaded (E5), then that is "sort of" acceptable advice.

Most of us on here would recommend using a much higher rated fuel hose.
The current advice is to use ethanol safe fuel hose.
Brickwerks are one of the few suppliers that you can guarantee will supply suitable fuel pipe.

Many ebay suppliers will say "upto" 100% ethanol safe, but in reality their pipe may not be as ethanol tolerant as they suggest.
1983 Tin Top with a poorly DF and 4 speed DT box.
1987 Electrics and a DJ engine.
Maybe one day I might get it finished

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Post by Stesaw »

That carb looks quite wet.. plus the manifold below it. Id get that carb rebuilt and clean up all that crap on the manifold etc.

But as Andrew says that vac line should be on the distributor. The timing won't advance without the vacuum from the engine. So you'll have naff running.
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project