Wiring up Victron charger

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

sweetaswesty
80-90 Mem No: 12543

Wiring up Victron charger

Post by sweetaswesty »

I replaced the original Buzzing Black Box charger in our Westfalia with a Victron IP22 12/15/3 using the exact same connections to the starter and leisure battery but im wondering if this was the best way to do it. As the condition and charge of the leisure battery is my primary concern and the Victron Connect bluetooth app only seems to report whats happening with the primary (starter) battery and the charging regime also seems to be based on what that battery wants and needs. So maybe i should swap the connections and make the leisure battery the primary one. Any thoughts? Would there be any disadvantages in doing this? am I missing something and the Victron app can actually report on all the batteries its charging? Thanks!
1991 Westfalia California Hightop1.9tdi

Robsey
80-90 Mem No: 11137

Re: Wiring up Victron charger

Post by Robsey »

I do not have a Victron charger, but I did download and read the user manual several times over, to look for answers to your query.

It mentions multiple batteries can be fitted, but it does not give any further information about leisure or secondary battery charging, and minitoring.

I didn't see any useful information at all.

Maybe that is why nobody has been able to offer any assistance.
1983 Tin Top with a poorly DF and 4 speed DT box.
1987 Electrics and a DJ engine.
Maybe one day I might get it finished

sweetaswesty
80-90 Mem No: 12543

Re: Wiring up Victron charger

Post by sweetaswesty »

Thanks for taking the time to do all that Robsey. I’ve got a copy of the manual and I’ve become fairly familiar with its contents. We’re travelling at the moment and I’m not going to swap things around now but when we get home I’ll try a few things out and maybe post the results. As you said the charger will charge three batteries easily enough but the software is a bit inadequate in only reporting what it’s up to with the primary battery I think.
1991 Westfalia California Hightop1.9tdi