RED FLASHING HEATER TEMPERATURE LIGHT

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

firetrader

RED FLASHING HEATER TEMPERATURE LIGHT

Post by firetrader »

I have developed an issue on my dash (1985 T25 -1.9 Petrol).Its a red flashing water temp light - checked water levels in radiators - checked blue cap on radiator, its not an overheating issue? It goes out when I turn the lights on? So it looks to be a dashboard issue? Had it off , looked at connections which are shoddy, cleaned with electrical cleaner and put back but its not remedied it? Has anyone got any ideas - many thanks .

Jim San
80-90 Mem No: 13133

Re: RED FLASHING HEATER TEMPERATURE LIGHT

Post by Jim San »

Did you check all the earth crowns, as they seem to be cause of many a problem.

I had the same issue on mine, mine was a slack connection on to of the bottle, slightest touch and it got upset
1991 (LHD) Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi 1Z (Landy fuel pump) 215/70/16
Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
'Roads? We don't need roads where we're going'

Robsey
80-90 Mem No: 11137

Post by Robsey »

Definitely sounds like a dirty / loose / corroded earth issue to me.
As said, check your earth crowns at the bottom of the left A pillar.
1983 Tin Top with a poorly DF and 4 speed DT box.
1987 Electrics and a DJ engine.
Maybe one day I might get it finished

Smiffo
80-90 Mem No: 15151

Post by Smiffo »

When looking behind the 'clocks' did you check the blue ribbon? ( which is like a flexible printed circuit board spanning across the entire width, and ends up on the plug I suspect you cleaned already. )

If you have a leak, water ingress will get in there and corrosion causes all sorts of weird happenings.
'89 1.9 DG

“It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.” ~ Mark Twain.

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

After checking coolant levels, condition of wires to the coolant level sender etc, remove the coolant level warning module. It looks like a relay, is numbered 42 or 43 and located close to the fuse box on pre 1986 vans and in the fuse box on later vans. If the coolant level warning led continues to flash then the problem may well be at the dash, the temp gauge, loose temperature gauge securing nuts or intermittent connection at the 10v regulator socket ( located on the pcb foil).

If the fault clears then all the wiring to the coolant level sensor needs to be checked, particularly one of the wires which connects to the bodywork from the level sensor.

module (42 or 43) is earthed at the crown earths close to the fuse box and this is often found to be in a poor state - a poor module earth will trigger the led so must be checked.
Last edited by AngeloEvs on 07 Jun 2022, 18:13, edited 1 time in total.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

firetrader

Post by firetrader »

Thanks everyone for the good advice, had done my best to check what has been mentioned - there were a few uncertainties though as I am am not so good at the electrical aspects. Couldn't quite see the relay marked 42 0r 43 ( my van is a 1985 wonder if its different?).

The darn thing decided to play up when it wants, thought I had mastered it, cleaned you as much as I can behind the dashboard but it is in relatively poor state behind there but other than this flashing light it all works?

The light is on at the moment - yet goes out if I turn the lights on which makes me think its electrical -probably  the earthing you mention but I cant locate the area referred to for the relay - getting a bit scared of messing too much as I need it at the weekend, perhaps will see how it goes -if still flashing after the weekend may tinker some more - need to locate the earthing area I  feel. (PS cleaned up all of the connections behind the dash). Had past behind the dash issues- no water egress at all fortunately.

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

Early vans, the Module 42 (43) is located on the 'A' pillar close to the fuse box and the Earth Crown.   There are a number of earths at the crown including the Headlights, Radiator, module 42, etc,  which is why it is imporant to check the condition of the spade connectors at the earth crown itself.
Last edited by AngeloEvs on 07 Jun 2022, 18:13, edited 1 time in total.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

ZsZ
80-90 Mem No: 14899

Post by ZsZ »

Zoltan
1986 Multivan ex-Caravelle. Van since 2006, running mTDi 1Z since 2008 with Fiat Croma 1.9 TDid pump 2008-2019, custom pump since 2019
5spd custom box 4.57 diff + 0.74 5th

firetrader

Post by firetrader »

Many thanks for the comprehensive info received. I decided to start again and retrace my steps. I started in the engine compartment checking fluids and blue cap etc again. I doing so I cleaned up the electrical spade connections again fixed to the water coolants tubes, when I tried to start again the red flashing light went out, I hope it doesn't return now, tried it three times and each time its gone out ...phew hope its sorted... many thanks. 

Robsey
80-90 Mem No: 11137

Post by Robsey »

Excellent news -

Sounds like you've got it sorted.

I always quote that 95% of faults are due to dirty, corroded, damaged or loose connectors or tired old wiring.
Always good to look at the 'free' fixes before looking at replacing any parts.

Good to ensure that any cleaned connectors are given a dab of petroleum jelly (vaseline) to keep out moisture and are fitted securely -
give the female spades a gentle squeeze to ensure a tight grip on the sensor spade.
1983 Tin Top with a poorly DF and 4 speed DT box.
1987 Electrics and a DJ engine.
Maybe one day I might get it finished

firetrader

Post by firetrader »

Thanks all for your help.