1.9 DG Push Rod Removal

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Blrsjer
80-90 Mem No: 0

1.9 DG Push Rod Removal

Post by Blrsjer »

Hello all,

Sadly one of the hydraulic lifters in my 1.9dg has gone and I think the others are on their way out too. I’ve managed to remove the faulty one and all others on the right side of the engine. However on the left side of the engine I got to the stage of removing the push rods and there’s a whacking great coolant pipe blocking their exit from the engine.

Now this pipe is securely bolted to the water pump and the bolts are rusted tight. I’ve had a go loosening one with an Allen key and a bit of leverage but all it’s done is round it off. So I’m rather stuck now, is there a way to get these push rods out or am I going to have to try and cut the pipe and clamp it back with a rubber section after?

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Re: 1.9 DG Push Rod Removal

Post by maxstu »

I thought the procedure is to take engine tinware off and pushrods go under front to back coolant pipe?
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
1987 DG1.9 LPG Auto Autosleeper
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

Blrsjer

Post by Blrsjer »

How do you mean to wear? The only way I can see the rods coming out is through the holes they sit in at the end of the pushrod tubes. I can deform the pushrod tubes to get them out and then probably wiggle the actually pushrods out. However I don’t want to end up damaging the rods themselves!

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

Get a small screwdriver or similar, clean out the Allen key hole, wire brush etc, tap the Allen key into the bolt a little , if the head of the Allen bolt is deformed use a hammer to flatten / re shape it

Get a pair of vice grips and clamp them onto the outside of the Allen key bolt turn the vice grips in conjunction with the Allen key and it will come undone , when doing the lower bolt, put the Allen key in and turn the pipe and Allen key at the same same time

If all this fails , chop the pipe off for better access , get a little heat on the aluminium housing , vice grips etc, as a very last resort weld a piece of bar to the Allen key bolts to undo them

Blrsjer

Post by Blrsjer »

Alrighty I’ll give that technique a go and see where it gets me. Thanks!

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

Or loosen the water pump, then move the coolant pipe a little. The pushrods should come past it then. If not, take water pump off with the pipe still attached.

Sent from my moto g(30) using Tapatalk

The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran