Gearbox Issue

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

randamonia
80-90 Mem No: 14035

Gearbox Issue

Post by randamonia »

Hi

First shakedown drive with the new engine (runs so sweeeeet!) and I had a gearbox issue.  Coming off a slip way, I couldn't get out of 4th gear, the gear stick physically would not move. Stalling the engine I was able to get it out of gear, then was only able to get 3rd and reverse.
Limped it back to the garage in 3rd.  Dropped the linkage, that all seems ok.  Mechanic was able to manually get all gears direct at the gear box but stiff and clunky.  After connecting up the linkage, again able to get all gears using the stick, but stiff. It was late Saturday so I've left it with him, but wondered if anyone had any thoughts.  I've read about the syncrohub and selector forks but if this was the issue would you be able to select gears at all?

Obviously going to wait to see what the mechanic says, but the van has been off the road for a while and I don't want to mess about delaying, so I'm preparing myself for if a rebuild is needed, in which case I'm just going to get a refurb unit.

Thanks all

1987 Autohomes Komet 1.9 DG

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Re: Gearbox Issue

Post by colinthefox »

My thoughts would be 3/4 synchrohub. Sounds very familiar! I had that problem on both of my gearboxes, but fortunately swapped them for stronger hubs before they totally failed.
I expect Aidan will be along soon with some thoughts.
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

randamonia
80-90 Mem No: 14035

Post by randamonia »

Thanks for the info.
1987 Autohomes Komet 1.9 DG

weimarbus
80-90 Mem No: 10165

Post by weimarbus »

If it drove ok before the engine swap I would suspect a linkage issue due to unsupported gearbox, or maybe collapsed spigot bearing preventing correct clutch operation
1985 hi-top 2.1MV with DG carb and LPG
1955 trials buggy with 1.9 DG high lift cam and twin dell's (now sold)
1972 1303 beetle
1992 Audi 100 2.8 quattro estate
1967 Vw  Madison kit