Accelerator conduit routing

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

MagicWagon
80-90 Mem No: 0

Accelerator conduit routing

Post by MagicWagon »

I did a stupid thing. Whilst replacing my fuel tank I decided to replace my worn accelerator cable and guide tube but didn't make a note or take photos of how the old conduit was routed. 
It's a 1983 2.0L Aircooled with twin solex. 
Having refitted everything, the accelerator cable is a few inches too short to reach where it goes through the carb linkage. I checked the cable length matched the old one before fitting, so the only way I can imagine this happened is if I routed the guide tube incorrectly. 
On my van there is a white plastic guide tube running from the front to just over half way back, where is goes into a thicker black tube until it passes through the engine tinware.
I wonder if I shouldn't have passed the white conduit through the two holes in the front suspension crossmember, as shown in the photo below from another members post, or below it, which could be a slightly shorter route.
I could do without having to take the new fuel tank out to see what's  going on.
Thankyou.
1983 2.0L Air Cooled Devon Moonraker

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Re: Accelerator conduit routing

Post by multisi »

Just got under my rhd van to look and the lower route in your photo seems the correct one ,then it goes through a small cross member easily visible from underneath  below the cab floor.  
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

MagicWagon
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Accelerator conduit routing

Post by MagicWagon »

Thanks for the reply. I rerouted as suggested and it's now all good.
Cheers.
1983 2.0L Air Cooled Devon Moonraker