Dash red lights

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

southernscouse
80-90 Mem No: 2434

Dash red lights

Post by southernscouse »

This is killing me just fitted a slaughterhouse kit as the foil fell apart when I tried to clean the 14wire socket I did this because the fuel and temp gauges stopped working
On first start up with the kit water red light flashed for a long time pulled 43 relay still flash pulled plug off water bottle still flash after 5 minutes went off and then behaved normally
Turn on side lights dash white lights flash go off red water light starts it’s sequence again and goes off
Turn head lights on red oil light comes on What the blithering heck

southernscouse

Re: Dash red lights

Post by southernscouse »

What I forgot to add is that now temp and fuel are ok as is everything else except the white dash lights

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

Sounds like an earthing problem to me. Any weirdness like that, and things happening when the headlights are involved (opens a new earth path), indicates earthing problems. Probably..
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

southernscouse

Post by southernscouse »

Thanks for that is it just a case of cleaning at the earth crown by the fuse box or is there a separate one for the dash

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

Since these problems started after installing the pcb kit my first thought is a mistake somewhere. Check everything again, in particular any information regards installing the kit for different models.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

southernscouse

Post by southernscouse »

The kit I bought was for post 1986 with the six contact for BOD everything was pre connected only change was remove wire for digital clock swop for analog

AngeloEvs

Post by AngeloEvs »

Were the dash warning lights working correctly before you fitted the kit? You say the temp and fuel gauges were not working which could be damaged copper strips on the blue membrane pcb where the 14 pin connector fits but could also be caused by a faulty regulator or poor connections in the regulator socket. The fuel gauge warning led circuit inside the gauge does not like voltages below 9.5v so check you are getting 10v at the fuel and temperature gauges.

Also, removing the connector at the coolant level sensor will trigger the temp gauge warning led as doing this imitates loss of coolant - removing the connector is how you check the gauge warning circuit and module 43 are functioning correctly but note there is a delay before the led flashes - so anyone reading this should wait for at least a minute if they want to check the coolant warning system by removing the connector at the sender.

southernscouse

Post by southernscouse »

Everything except the fuel and temp were ok
The water red light was staying on with the relay and water bottle plug removed

Going to clean earths at crown and fit another dash pod this is a spare but has no clock or speedo reset
Would really like the dash pod with slaughterhouse kit fitted

southernscouse

Post by southernscouse »

Right latest results are good cleaned both earth crowns by fuse box did a bit of a swop around between the two
Everything seems to be working correctly just letting it warm up to check temp gauge

southernscouse

Post by southernscouse »

Temp works and all this with the dash with slaughterhouse kit happy camper at the mo

southernscouse

Post by southernscouse »

Went on a 40mile trip ok on the way a few miles on the way back red light and buzzer on pulled over level ok oil gauge shows over 1 bar
Got it home checked wires to sensors then replaced sensors grey and blue new oil filter w719/12
Oil change 20/50 started up gauge shows 3bar cold red light and buzzer again disconnected yellow wire put to earth with engine running and buzzer on carried on buzzing. Help

AngeloEvs

Post by AngeloEvs »

Have you fitted an oil pressure gauge and sender? If so, and your gauge is reading 3 Bar then it sounds like a wiring issue.

southernscouse

Post by southernscouse »

You could well be right I have fitted the slaughterhouse kit which was really a plug and play except the change for analog clock as I said all working on 40 mile trip

Taken out dash clock set for a spare set all ok Next question what could be wrong with the slaughterhouse kit

AngeloEvs

Post by AngeloEvs »

Have you fitted an oil pressure gauge sender in place of the 0.3 Bar oil pressure switch near the pushrod tubes?

southernscouse

Post by southernscouse »

Yes I have a pressure gauge with a braided hose connector to push rod port with a two way connector so I have gauge and sensor