Finally found Reverse Lights Switch but ... can't budge it! Any ideas???

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

T25Hugh
80-90 Mem No: 0

Finally found Reverse Lights Switch but ... can't budge it! Any ideas???

Post by T25Hugh »

After what feels like hours of searching for this flippin' thing (namely: the Reverse Lights Switch - mine's nearer the top of the gearbox than at the bottom where most people seem to find it!) and ... I can't budge the thing! It doesn't even look rusty - I just can't move it ('lefty loosey', right?) not a fraction! Here's the thing, according to my co-driver (looking from behind), when I go to take the stick out of reverse gear the off-side reverse light illuminates briefly which suggests that power is getting through to that light at least (albeit just for a nano-second coming out of gear not going in). I'm thinking I need to replace the existing switch but, not wanting to run before I can walk here, in order to do so I must first get this problematic one out ... it just won't budge though - "AARRGGHH!" Any ideas here Folks???Image    
1991 Holdsworth T25 (Pop Top!); 4 speed gearbox; 1.9 diesel (conversion from original 1.9 petrol)

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Re: Finally found Reverse Lights Switch but ... can't budge it! Any ideas???

Post by Mocki »

They are never near the bottom , poor info there !
Put a bit more effort in on the spanner , it’ll come undone . It’s a standard thread not left hand thread , so lefty loosey as you put it . Maybe a squirt of penetrating oil (Plusgas not WD40)
You may find all you need to so is clean it , and add a washer under it to adjust the depth of the plunger .
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

T25Hugh

Post by T25Hugh »

Mocki wrote: 24 Apr 2022, 12:22 They are never near the bottom , poor info there !
Put a bit more effort in on the spanner , it’ll come undone . It’s a standard thread not left hand thread , so lefty loosey as you put it . Maybe a squirt of penetrating oil (Plusgas not WD40)
You may find all you need to so is clean it , and add a washer under it to adjust the depth of the plunger .

Thanks SO much for your quick response here Mocki. OK, off to source some Plusgas ... I'll report back and let you know how I go on - CHEERS!
1991 Holdsworth T25 (Pop Top!); 4 speed gearbox; 1.9 diesel (conversion from original 1.9 petrol)

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

The early 091 gearbox has the reverse switch low down front left, as fitted to Aircooled t25.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

SurfT25
80-90 Mem No: 17059

Post by SurfT25 »

My reverse light wasn't functioning alsi
I just did as mocki mentioned (add washer)
now works fine.
Prepare for the worst but hope for the best

1984 1.9 DG WBX Autohomes hightop

T25Hugh

Post by T25Hugh »

UPDATE: 
Thanks for all the advice Folks! OK, quick update ... I'm not out of the woods yet. I managed to source an aerosal of No-Nonsense Penetrating Oil. Left it on over lunch and "Hey Presto!" A bit of torque on the spanner and the switch came free (thanks Mocki - TOP TIP!) I cleaned up the switch and connecting leads and reassembled - no joy sadly! Took it off again (much easier this time!) and tried re-fitting with a washer in place. Again, no joy. To cut  a LONG story short here I tried about four or five different washers (adding & subtracting as I went - I must have had the switch on and off this afternoon about 10 times!) Bottom line? Even though this original switch cleaned up fine and the spring-loaded ball end seems to be working fine too I'm guessing this switch must be damged inside so ... I've just been onto the Brickwerks site and ordered a new switch. Fingers crossed that'll do the trick and I'll have some joy- here's hopin'! :wink: ImageImage   

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

Just be aware that there are two different connectors fort the reverse light switch , try and get the one that matches your loom, or you simply need to change the connection on the loom to match the switch . The switches are non polarised so it matter not which is pos and neg ( like a filament bulb )
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

T25Hugh

Post by T25Hugh »

Mocki wrote: 24 Apr 2022, 18:42 Just be aware that there are two different connectors fort the reverse light switch , try and get the one that matches your loom, or you simply need to change the connection on the loom to match the switch . The switches are non polarised so it matter not which is pos and neg ( like a filament bulb )

The replacement I've ordered from Brickwerks has the same part no. 020 941 521A so, like-for-like, it'll hopefully do the trick :ok

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

you should need the fat aluminium washer with the new switch, be aware the new ones are pants quality compared to the original VDO ones so check the switch works well before fitting it, you should get continuity with about 1mm of movement of the tip
be also aware that if the tip of the selector shaft in the box is heavily worn that you may not get sufficient movement of the switch tip for it to work properly and if the pivot cup of the selector shaft is broken then it may also not work, and set up of the cup and ball side of the selector shaft can also have a bearing on the operation so partial engagement/flickering etc... is not uncommon

T25Hugh

Post by T25Hugh »

So my replacement new switch has just arrived this morning (great service there Brickwerks!) ImageOK, wish me luck then, I'm going (back) in ... 

ZsZ
80-90 Mem No: 14899

Post by ZsZ »

I do not like those JPGroup (topran, Calosrtat, FAE, etc.) style switches. They are made for a different connector used in golf/polo so they are missing an important part of the weather pack over the connector.

However they work just fine.

FACET 7.6009 is the OE style switch:
Zoltan
1986 Multivan ex-Caravelle. Van since 2006, running mTDi 1Z since 2008 with Fiat Croma 1.9 TDid pump 2008-2019, custom pump since 2019
5spd custom box 4.57 diff + 0.74 5th

T25Hugh

Post by T25Hugh »

"AARRGGH!" Hasn't worked. Spent the last couple of hours with washers on and off. The best I can get is a flash of the offside reverse light coming out of reverse gear.

mrhutch
80-90 Mem No: 2698

Post by mrhutch »

hook up the switch to the wiring but not installed in the gearbox. then operate the plunger by hand and see if the lights come on.. If you haven't got a helper you can always set your mobile phone recording a video of the back of the bus whilst you operate the switch
1981 Vanagon Westy Burning oil as fuel...  

Robsey
80-90 Mem No: 11137

Post by Robsey »

Aidan wrote: 25 Apr 2022, 06:58
be also aware that if the tip of the selector shaft in the box is heavily worn that you may not get sufficient movement of the switch tip for it to work properly and if the pivot cup of the selector shaft is broken then it may also not work, and set up of the cup and ball side of the selector shaft can also have a bearing on the operation so partial engagement/flickering etc... is not uncommon

Oops - sound like this may be your issue then :(
1983 Tin Top with a poorly DF and 4 speed DT box.
1987 Electrics and a DJ engine.
Maybe one day I might get it finished

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Post by TONYT25T25 »

If the problem lays within the gearbox, is there any mileage in connecting an illuminated toggle switch on the dash to the lights.
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX