Name that expensive sounding noise

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Bryce
80-90 Mem No: 17419

Name that expensive sounding noise

Post by Bryce »

Following from my last posts my engine (JX) has developed a tapping or clacking at high revs. I have recorded it in the hope someone can point me in the direction of what's going wrong.

https://youtu.be/9WGnVZjtJsk

A little back history ran without this noise before I changed glow plugs fitted fuel pump and new belt also replaced injector lines as the old ones were leaking. Only had it out to end of street before this noise kicked in and returned home. It had sat for about 3 weeks while I done the above work

I triple checked timing and turned it over by hand before starting but will be checking the timing again.

It seems to be coming from rocker cover but scares the life out of me!

Cheers for any help
1987 1.6td hightop

muttleypup
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Name that expensive sounding noise

Post by muttleypup »

Injector knock maybe? Try cracking open the injectors one by one and see if it stops the noise. Might be air in the injector or possibly a stuck/faulty injector.
1987 single cab pickup 1.9 1Y

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

Sticking cam follower I would say, is there plenty of oil in it ?

Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Injector knock sounds interesting as I think there is a problem with the top threads on injector 4, taking to diesel guy on Mon to see if he can put it in a new case. So if I start and crack each injector in turn will it stop the noise when the correct one is cracked?

The oil level is right but I did have the rocker off for ages while I was fixing it so maybe drained all the oil? How would go about fixing this? Full oil change?

I'm glad no-one has said pistons or valves that what I was most worried about
1987 1.6td hightop

muttleypup

Post by muttleypup »

If it is the injector at fault, cracking the line open will isolate it and the noise should stop as no longer firing on the relative cylinder, just be careful as diesel isnt good for eyes and/or skin
1987 single cab pickup 1.9 1Y

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

could it be a broken inner valve spring ? I'm not sure what the purpose of the double spring set up is though, just looking at the parts in the head on the diagram, but as David suggests sticking cam follower etc.. looks like the area to investigate from the noise

Bryce

Post by Bryce »

If it is the cam follower would I be able to see it from just taking the cover off and turning it over by hand?

Quick Google suggests just spraying it with plus gas or similar and then leaving for a few hours? And I suppose will have to check the cam for damage as well?
1987 1.6td hightop

Bryce

Post by Bryce »

So just got round to refitting a injector and replacing with old pipe. Started it up and still have the noise at high revs.

Took rocker off and turned it over by hand and everything seems to be working as it should. Re checked all timing and still correct.

ImageImage

Couldnt see any damage on any of the cam lobes so I'm a bit stuck. If it was a follower problem would I not be able to hear the sound at low revs? Could it be cam float that only starts when enough force is turning it?

Anyone know any good mechanics in the North East?
1987 1.6td hightop

Rascal

Post by Rascal »

There is a lot of air in the bleed off pipe between injector 1 and 2 so air is definitely getting into fuel system....

Bryce

Post by Bryce »

I fitted them at same time as replacing injector so haven't ran the engine enough to bleed them out yet. Only started it to bleed the high pressure pipe and rev to see if noise had gone.

Do you think it's worth letting it run and trying again to see if noise stops?
1987 1.6td hightop

Rascal

Post by Rascal »

I'd replace the fuel line to the filter with a clear section.. And let it idle and look for air bubbles

Bryce

Post by Bryce »

I've got a clear section on it and you can see a tiny air bubble or two when revving the engine but not when just at idle.

Started it up after checking the cam and it seem to have got worse, the noise now kicks in at a much lower rpm. Must have ran it at idle for about 5 mins and still had no fuel in the run off pipe between 2 and three.

Had to shut of when engine started steaming? The temp gauge had barely started to move. Think I'm in over my head and going to try and get a garage to have a look if I can find one that will that is.
1987 1.6td hightop

Rascal

Post by Rascal »

I wouldnt give up yet.. You have done a fair bit of work... Considering you have not touched the cooling system.. It would be odd to sudd3 start to overheat. Jyst check the coolant levels.. Its more likely oil and spilt diesel burning and evaporating from you working on the engine...

Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Could be right as rocker cover was leaking oil and there was diesel from bleeding the injectors. Tried using a mechanic stethoscope to find the exact location of noise but nearly deafened myself ha

I'm guessing jx run hot but I'm just wary of cooking engine although I replaced the coolant sensor not long ago.

Just not sure what to do next to find out what the noise is. Thought it could of been the plastic cover over the cam but again no sign of damage
1987 1.6td hightop

Rascal

Post by Rascal »

Jx do suffer from heat. I'd let it cool. Check all fuel connections hoses etc ( I once had a breakdown when an in line filter tail snapped inside the hose allowing air into system) . But visual inspection all looked good. Wasn't until undoing the connection did it become clear. If you hoses have enough extra.. Undo clips.. Inspect and trim off cracked damaged ends etc and redo... Then once its cooled. Fire it up.. And undo and bleed injectors... Previously you mentioned that the reves increased on their own when nipping up injector.. That may have been that nipping up actually allowed cylinder to get fuel and not sir and run better. as not sucking in air... It can be tedious and repetitive but worth it in the end