Fuel gauge not working

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Kev.i.n
80-90 Mem No: 0

Fuel gauge not working

Post by Kev.i.n »

Hi all, I'm a newbie to the VW t25 life, just purchased Betsy our 1982 air-cooled 2ltr petrol Devon Moonraker! In love with her so far as are the kids!

Unfortunately she's came with a few problems, I'd like to try my hand at repairing her. In all honesty I've never attempted anything mechanical. I'm an electrician by trade so pretty handy, also have auto electrician friend and a camper van mechanic for a neighbour. I'd like to try my hand first.

Fuel gauge shows empty regardless of how much fuel is in her. I'd appreciate any suggestions on where to start. I'm assuming there's a sender/sensor in tank and relay/regulator on dash?

Cabin blow heater not working at all. Faint smell of exhaust/petrol. I'm assuming a blow in the exhaust.

Also I'd like to be able to get her under the barriers at beach car parks (2.1m) as I'm an avid surfer, but the vent on roof makes her a tad too big. Any recommendations for most cost effective way to resolve this? New vent, lower or something I've not even thought of.

There are various other things, rattlings and clanking, engine cutting out when cold but I'll do them one thing at a time funds permitting. A rolling project so to speak.

I'd appreciate all help and honesty in regards to how difficult these repairs/works will be for a newbie.

Nice to meet you all!ImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Re: Fuel gauge not working

Post by Mocki »

Hello and welcome
Last things first , you could remove the vent and replace it with a fixed Perspex cover if you dont want the opening option , that would be flat to the roof , seal with sikaflex……..

The heater blower was a rare optional extra on the older Aircooled vans , and if it was fitted it just sucked through the air pushed up from the engine fan on the alternator , which unless the pipe work is in excellent condition with no leaks , is feeble on a good day , bring heat from the heat exchangers on the exhaust , and its common to get a oily smell if there are leaks around the push rods or rocker covers

As for the petrol gauge , check the age-ed wiring first , and the connection onto the dash pod (14pin connector )just above your right knee if you reach up under the dash and giver it a very gentle wiggle
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

Kev.i.n
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Kev.i.n »

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the welcome and the information you've taken the time to divulge! Much appreciated! I'll attempt to have a look at these suggestions you've made.

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

There is a 10v Regulator that supplies the fuel gauge.   On early vans the regulator sits in a 2 pin socket and the metal tab on the regulator is the earth and should be screwed down so that it contacts the copper under it.  Check you have 10v at the fuel gauge - if not the 2 pin socket can tarnish to the exent the regulator is not connecting to it may need a new regulator.    Chances are the problem is at the wiring to the fuel tank sender.

Regards the roof hatch,  I had to remove mine  and replaced it with tinted Acrylic and bonded it using 'Serious Stuff' which is similar to Silkaflex and avaialble from B&Q.  I used the mounting section of the hatch as a frame and used the original screw holes to secure the Acrylic.

1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior