Spring marking colors (not mentioned in the Wiki)?

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Shatmepants
80-90 Mem No: 0

Spring marking colors (not mentioned in the Wiki)?

Post by Shatmepants »

I know there's a Wiki here for this, but it seems to be missing some of the colors/combinations. For example, I have a stock Syncro with stock front springs that have two green paint marks. The Wiki says these are "Strengthened, increased payload", but no mention of them being fitted to a Syncro. The springs are the correct length for the Syncro and it sits at the stock ride height, so I know they were not transplanted from a 2wd.

I also have a stock 2wd passenger van with stock front springs that have two yellow paint marks. It's a standard height van (not 30mm lowered). There's no mention of this. 

Is there a more complete listing of all the T3 spring marking colors?

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Re: Spring marking colors (not mentioned in the Wiki)?

Post by silverbullet »

viewtopic.php?p=7772453&sid=4d35c3f3200 ... 6#p7772453

May be of some help? There used to be a comprehensive list on the Brick-yard forum but I'm just getting a 404 error on any old links.

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Post by RogerT »

silverbullet wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 11:26 There used to be a comprehensive list on the Brick-yard forum but I'm just getting a 404 error on any old links.

You need to go back, Waaaay back brother...

https://web.archive.org/web/20150623084 ... prings.htm
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

2 green front springs are HD 2wd, often fitted to Syncros to lift them, but they sag over time and end up same length as correct Syncro ones,  Syncro front spring is two violet
Syncro rears are two green

Shatmepants

Post by Shatmepants »

Aidan wrote: 20 Apr 2022, 20:03 2 green front springs are HD 2wd, often fitted to Syncros to lift them, but they sag over time and end up same length as correct Syncro ones,  Syncro front spring is two violet
Syncro rears are two green

That's the same information I have read before, but I know for a fact these two green stripe springs are original to the Syncro they came out of (I know the original owner), so I'm confident they did not come out of a 2wd. 

Also, the typical spring info does not explain the standard height 2wd springs with the two X yellow stripes. I purchased this van from the original owner and again, I'm confident the springs are original to the van. These are 1984 tin top GL springs. This van sat tall like the 1983 vans do/did. 

I hope I don't come off as being argumentative. I honestly appreciate the input. These two springs are oddities and I'm just trying to figure out the what's and why's of them.  

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

I pulled a pair of 2 green off a Syncro I bought from Sweden that was Swedish market specific but not plated at 2800kg and nothing on the M plate showed up as different in that regard; it's possible they were original, I just assumed they had been changed at some point as the vehicle had been recommissioned to serve a need and had been raped of some stuff and bodged in other respects. Side by side they are very very similar but not identical to 2 violet; maybe that week there was a supply line shortage so they stuck in 2wd HDs, or maybe the factory marked them wrong. Without access to testing gear you'll never know what they are, if they work fine.

spanishfly
80-90 Mem No: 12044

Post by spanishfly »

Just to muddy the waters my Dehler has triple red paint stripes on the back and is definitely -30mm compared to double yellow.... haven't checked the front.

1987 Westy Joker 1.6TD
1987 Dehler Profi 2+2
1988 Syncro RHD panel

spanishfly
80-90 Mem No: 12044

Post by spanishfly »

I've just taken a front spring off a donor 84 Westy which has the following code stamped into it. 
Vw logo then 2514 ARBW      J
Do any spring aficionados happen to know the meaning of this code please?  All discussions I've read online refer to colour codes but not heard about stamped codes.....? Perhaps they are all the same? This stands 17" tall. 

1987 Westy Joker 1.6TD
1987 Dehler Profi 2+2
1988 Syncro RHD panel

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

251 means later T3 parts, 4xx would be suspension, its a generic code for a spring.
My guess would be that stamping + paint code was all they needed.

Shatmepants

Post by Shatmepants »

Aidan wrote: 23 Apr 2022, 08:38 I pulled a pair of 2 green off a Syncro I bought from Sweden that was Swedish market specific but not plated at 2800kg and nothing on the M plate showed up as different in that regard; it's possible they were original, I just assumed they had been changed at some point as the vehicle had been recommissioned to serve a need and had been raped of some stuff and bodged in other respects. Side by side they are very very similar but not identical to 2 violet; maybe that week there was a supply line shortage so they stuck in 2wd HDs, or maybe the factory marked them wrong. Without access to testing gear you'll never know what they are, if they work fine.

I do have a spring rate checker. The spring rate of the double green stripe springs from the Syncro is 451 lb per inch. I don't have any of the violet Syncro springs loose to check at the moment (the pair I have are installed), but if I can round one up, I'll check it and report back.