External fog light working - can I re-route wire & bulb into cluster

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Middle29
80-90 Mem No: 14427

External fog light working - can I re-route wire & bulb into cluster

Post by Middle29 »

Hello all...

I have an external fog light that keeps coming loose. I would like to remove it & wire it into the main lights. LHD. I have a read a little bit but wondered if I have the wiring all there and working is there a sensible 'bodge' where I can just take that wiring and bulb and put that straight into the RHD cluster?

I've read about obtaining a LHD loom to swap for the RHD and some other stuff but as it is all wired and working I wondered if there is a simpler/quicker solution.

Cheers

1990 Atlantic Westy Pop-Top... 1.9TD

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Re: External fog light working - can I re-route wire & bulb into cluster

Post by bigherb »

Yes you can. Swap the bulb holders over, you need to cut the prong off that stops you putting it in the wrong side. Then run a new wire from the left loom to the R/H light.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: External fog light working - can I re-route wire & bulb into cluster

Post by Aidan »

if you can find a rhd right side light unit you can just run a wire across the engine bay and add it into the plug on the right side that's what I did (I ran the wire along back of engine bay with the wiring to the number plate lights and then clipped to whatever was handy, but you need it set up as a rhd light unit which has the 6th bulb connection all the way to the bulb and the reflector fitted in the lens and (I think) the metal heat protection insert above the bulb. Hellas bulb holders are handed, iirc ULO aren't so you may be able to swap the bulb holder part of the unit across if you have fog on left and ULO, but you'll still need a rhd lens for the right side; you'll just have to compare and check yourself with what you have