Diesel particulate filter 1.6 JX

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

uncle monty
80-90 Mem No: 0

Diesel particulate filter 1.6 JX

Post by uncle monty »

Hi there

I would like to fit a dpf to turbo diesel jx engine

Does anyone know where I can buy one?

What are the pros and cons of these filters

Many thanks

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Diesel particulate filter 1.6 JX

Post by Aidan »

don't waste your time even thinking about it

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

what are you trying to achieve?

uncle monty

Post by uncle monty »

Many thanks for your responses

Not the response I was expecting though

I’m trying to achieve cleaner emissions I.e. lower nitrous oxide

I know they did fit them to some t25 diesel vans

Curiously, very little information online about retro fit filters to older diesels

Regards

cobblers
80-90 Mem No: 17450

Post by cobblers »

You could fit a DPF, but a DPF hanging off the back of a mechanically injected 1980s diesel engine would be blocked solid and ruined within about 300 miles.

To last any more than that, you'd need massively more accurate control of the fuelling and combustion than this engine is capable of to first of all reduce the amount of soot the engine produces, but also to periodically "regenerate" the DPF by allowing the engine to emit totally unburned fuel which will then ignite on the DPF matrix and cause the thing to heat up to 600-800C and vapourise the soot load.

None of this is remotely possible to do without basically taking the engine out and fitting a later engine designed to have a DPF.

It's an unbelievably massive undertaking to do a retrofit on an existing engine. VW (with billion pound budgets) couldn't do it without giving the vehicles unacceptably poorer economy and performance, hence why they cheated the software.

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

cobblers wrote: 06 Feb 2022, 12:42 You could fit a DPF, but a DPF hanging off the back of a mechanically injected 1980s diesel engine would be blocked solid and ruined within about 300 miles.

To last any more than that, you'd need massively more accurate control of the fuelling and combustion than this engine is capable of to first of all reduce the amount of soot the engine produces, but also to periodically "regenerate" the DPF by allowing the engine to emit totally unburned fuel which will then ignite on the DPF matrix and cause the thing to heat up to 600-800C and vapourise the soot load.

None of this is remotely possible to do without basically taking the engine out and fitting a later engine designed to have a DPF.

It's an unbelievably massive undertaking to do a retrofit on an existing engine. VW (with billion pound budgets) couldn't do it without giving the vehicles unacceptably poorer economy and performance, hence why they cheated the software.

The software was not an issue in this country

ZsZ
80-90 Mem No: 14899

Post by ZsZ »

Prechamber diesels used in the 80s VWs have lower NOx pollution than the direct injection 90s and newer engines. But they produce big visible soot particles. This is why they quickly clog the particle filter.
The cleanest really late 90 model year vans were designed to meet the EURO 1 standards. EURO 1 JX turbodiesels had some kind of exhaust filter or catalyc converter but they also had some changes in the injection pump settings.
If you care about pollution then your best option would be a late 2.1 DJ or MV code petrol with a catalyc converter.
Or basically anything younger than the 30+ year old t25s.

E D I T:
In Germany there were some aftermarket exhaust solutions to meet later standards like EURO 3. They needed some additives added to the fuel. But these kits were expensive and only a few TUV stations allowed the conversion. Nowadays they are not really available as the youngest vans are older than 30yrs and the historic car classification is a much easier and cheaper solution to get into the low emission zones.
https://www.mybusparts.de/russpartikelf ... yncro.html
https://www.tdi-umbau.com/katalysatoren ... im-t3.html
Zoltan
1986 Multivan ex-Caravelle. Van since 2006, running mTDi 1Z since 2008 with Fiat Croma 1.9 TDid pump 2008-2019, custom pump since 2019
5spd custom box 4.57 diff + 0.74 5th

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

uncle monty wrote: 06 Feb 2022, 11:42 Many thanks for your responses

Not the response I was expecting though

I’m trying to achieve cleaner emissions I.e. lower nitrous oxide

I know they did fit them to some t25 diesel vans

Curiously, very little information online about retro fit filters to older diesels

Regards

dpf was never fitted to T25s originally and not really applicable to our old engines, the CAT JX was pretty rare and not readily replicable; hence my post

uncle monty

Post by uncle monty »

Guys

Many thanks for your responses on this one. Just trying to make my van a bit more future proof

The reason I wrote this post was I saw a German plated van in Lyme Regis with the label on the tailgate katalizer

Indeed the van had a dinky in-line cylinder with a bottle neck at both ends between the turbo (assuming) and the silencer

I also heard an article on Radio 4 (couple of years ago) where this cat guy explained that all old Diesel engines could use converters

Enjoy the rest of the weekend

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

My Jx came with a cat fitted, not sure if it was factory or not. But it was pretty restrictive, so it got binned.
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

ash1293
80-90 Mem No: 16013

Post by ash1293 »

You could possibly fit an early ‘particle filter’ from a late 90’s Peugeot 1.9 turbo xud. Would obviously involve a bit of cutting and welding etc. These were passive with no fancy electronics/software.

While it may be slightly cleaner it will be down on power and mpg will drop, or at least that’s what was seen on the 306. Most people removed and fitted the early down pipe without filter.

Secondly it is highly unlikely you would get any certification to gain any benefit for it being slightly cleaner, so if reduced tax/ULEZ zones etc is your aim you’d be out of luck.
1990 1.9DG 34DAT carb Leisuredrive hightop

Timburrows
80-90 Mem No: 14187

Post by Timburrows »

Mk2 and mk3 golf diesel umwelt version was a turbo diesel with out an lda on it and was the cleanest diesel at the time,the transporter t4 1.9td after 1996 also had a cat on it,probably the best one if you were going down this road

ogbonnayauche

Post by ogbonnayauche »

When it comes to buying a DPF, there are a few options out there. I suggest looking online for reputable dealers in your area. It might also be worth checking with local auto shops to see if they carry them. As for the pros and cons, there are a few to consider. On the plus side, a DPF can help reduce emissions and improve fuel efficiency. However, they do require regular maintenance, and if they become clogged, they can cause engine problems.