T25 89 2.1 5speed.m full restoration project

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Crosby24
80-90 Mem No: 0

T25 89 2.1 5speed.m full restoration project

Post by Crosby24 »

Hi Everyone

New to this forum, already see a well of knowledge ready to dive in. Done few classic car overhauls, classic mini complete strip and engine rebuild etc. So am happy doing large jobs.

Bought a T25 few week ago for cheap. Wanted a project. And it ticked all the boxes of being Rhd, 5speed manual, 2.1 water cooled, 2e3 carb, caravelle camper.

Passed an MOT in 2015 and was stored in a shed till now.
Solid body, but needs some welding. Which is no issue.
Clutch slave has a leak so haven't managed to test gears yet, hope to replace soon and test all runs well.
Engine started straight away when buying.
No gunky stuff anywhere and fluids seem okay.
Obviously when got back all the issues have unferled.

Kept starting and cutting out. I primed the carb with fresh fuel through the mesh vent and pipette. Started straight away (whole fuel system obviously needs replacing)
Got it up to temp, testing reving. And sounds okay.

Compression test next.

1 - 6.2 bar
2- 8 bar
3 - 8 bar
4 - 8.5 bar

I know even spread is better than high pressure but it does seem low. Haven't done the oil trick down cylinders. But think because hasn't been ran properly for 6 years could be low as things aren't yet settled?

Oil leak from left rocker and oil filter.

I plan to drop the engine at some point and do all the welding and replace most perishables. Pipes, covers.etc nd probably do a head clean and overhaul. Checking valves etc.

I'm hoping the engine is sound but don't know if there's anything else I should be checking and testing before the drop and overhaul, or a new refurbed engine?

Does this seem like the best thing to do with the knowledge and tests I've done?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Crosby24
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: T25 89 2.1 5speed.m full restoration project

Post by Crosby24 »

Just done a cold compression test, with pedal depressed and spark plugs out.

1 - 8
2 - 9
3 - 10.5
4 - 9

Did it cold as the oil leak I mentioned is quite bad.
Oil is on minimum
Didn't want to turn on again

If I'm doing a engine drop.
Should I do a generic service i.e
Oil change, water, maybe rocker gasket(this is what's leaking) Oil and fuel filter.

I need to fix/replace slave cylinders and see if transmission is okay so will need to run again before the drop.

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Post by Stesaw »

Well, you could just replace fluids and run it as is or do a top end rebuild and get the exhaust valves checked and perhaps piston rings. Replace anything iffy like rusty pipes and old rubber hoses. Do your pulley and flywheel seals as well if you are dropping the engine. Pull the lifters and give em a clean out and rebuild, just put em back where they came from ;)
:ok

Opening the case will probably only give you more grief. You might find the cam is all worn out and needs replacing. Just be careful of those head studs if you are removing heads. If you snap one you will be in for a world of "pooh". Another thing is main bearings are a bitch to come by at the moment as out resident engine builders will agree with. So if you did split the case and found you needed new ones you'd be stuck.. but then again at least you wouldn't be running the engine with bad bearings :roll:
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

As it’s been sat a compression test won’t give the true values, it needs running for a good while first and driven around, I would check fluids etc and run it