Heater control cables bent - what to do?!

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

xgav8
80-90 Mem No: 0

Heater control cables bent - what to do?!

Post by xgav8 »

Hey all,

I've managed to bend the heater control cables whilst switching out our blower motor. 1/3 of them is perfect but the one that goes down under the cab is bent and so it the one that runs through the cable tie to the vent at bottom.

I've tried searching for new cables online, but can't seem to find the exact ones anywhere. Any tips on fixes, or where I can buy them?

1.9ltr petrol, water-cooled, RHD. 1986.

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Re: Heater control cables bent - what to do?!

Post by davidoft1 »

xgav8 wrote: 09 Nov 2021, 14:07 Hey all,

I've managed to bend the heater control cables whilst switching out our blower motor. 1/3 of them is perfect but the one that goes down under the cab is bent and so it the one that runs through the cable tie to the vent at bottom.

I've tried searching for new cables online, but can't seem to find the exact ones anywhere. Any tips on fixes, or where I can buy them?

1.9ltr petrol, water-cooled, RHD. 1986.

RHD or LHD?

xgav8
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by xgav8 »

RHD

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Post by RogerT »

Mine were spaghettified at the control end when I bought the van. I think I straightened them when I had the dash out, access is difficult otherwise. Then just patience and tweaking. If the outer is bent too (unlikely?) not sure of the solution.
Probably useful to check free movement at the other end, ie heater box and heater valve.
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Post by Stesaw »

They generally bend if they aren't routed right due to them being solid core cables. Too much of a curve in them and the resistance will make em bend or snap if you're unlucky. 

I put a bit of lube on mine when I had them out to minimize any snagging. 

You can straighten them out if you are careful but if there is still a lot of resistance then it will bend or break in the same place as I doubt you'd be able to get the bend out fully. 

Thats just speaking from experience though, you might have better luck ;)

If the bend is on the exposed wire and if you had space you could perhaps sleeve it to reinforce it.. but to be fair it might just be easier and quicker to replace the cable.
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project