Big Blue Van - Full Restoration

For documenting and technical details of T25 restorations and major repairs
This section is for major restorations only.where to buy a panel or where to buy window rubbers belong in the bodywork seats and glass section.
Also please note,we need pictures of the restorations,without them posts are pretty useless.[\b]
Picture heavy and detailed threads , not for general banter or advertising
Traders welcome to post but not to advertise blatently
Threads will be cleaned of chit chat.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

BigBlueVan
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Big Blue Van - Full Restoration

Post by BigBlueVan »

sam16v wrote: 16 Jul 2022, 10:09 So I was re reading your thread, see you have doubled up on the rear arch panels? Looks like you have a factory arch under the full rear quarter panel? If so where did you source the full rear quarters and what is the fit like? I've heard some horror stories about some aftermarket rear quarters. Thanks Sam

The inner arch panels came from Schofields, the outer rear quarter panels where klokkerholm brand from just kampers.

The inner arch panels were modified to just leave a lip to plug weld the outer panel to.

The fit of both panels was very good, not too much fettling was needed on them

BigBlueVan

Post by BigBlueVan »

Right back at it again!

So after the summer hiatus doing an immense amount of hiking, Munro bagging, camping and fell running I thought It about time to refresh my memory with this project.

So straight into the roof repairs at the front end, starting with the nearside.
Firstly cutout all the crud.

Then patch it all back together with various fabricated prices and a short section of gutter repair.

This patchwork quilt will need fully welding, but that's for another day.

Horatio Flange
80-90 Mem No: 30

Post by Horatio Flange »

This is without doubt one of the best threads I have read!  Superb work and very inspiring as I am undertaking a project myself... a much, much smaller project though! lol

Can I ask what make/model welder you use?  I'm struggling tio find someone near me who will do the welding so am considering learning to weld myself... could be a disaster but hey ho!

BigBlueVan

Post by BigBlueVan »

Horatio Flange wrote: 13 Oct 2022, 18:37
Can I ask what make/model welder you use? I'm struggling to find someone near me who will do the welding so am considering learning to weld myself... could be a disaster but hey ho!

My welder is a Clarke 135te, fairly basic unit but gets the job done well enough.

Horatio Flange
80-90 Mem No: 30

Post by Horatio Flange »

BigBlueVan wrote: 16 Oct 2022, 14:48
Can I ask what make/model welder you use? I'm struggling to find someone near me who will do the welding so am considering learning to weld myself... could be a disaster but hey ho!

My welder is a Clarke 135te, fairly basic unit but gets the job done well enough.
Thanks for that, much appreciated.

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Post by RogerT »

BigBlueVan wrote: 16 Oct 2022, 14:48

Agreed, you don’t need anything fancy, I’ve a Weldability MIG 160T, available for similar cost. Granted it did fail on me, but fixed for a tenner after advice from Mig welding forum. Key is to learn how to use it…
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

dungeon
80-90 Mem No: 17559

Post by dungeon »

If its of interest https://tools-paint.com/index.asp will mix rustoleum combicolour to some van colours.I just ordered LH5G 2.5litres £56 which I reckon is great

BigBlueVan

Post by BigBlueVan »

finishing the roof

Spent some time finishing the roof off last week.
It's now fully welded up and in position

ImageImage

Will need some final fettling before prepping for paint.

Time to flip the van on its side!

BigBlueVan

Post by BigBlueVan »

Flippin Eck!!!

So I purchased a rotisserie a while back which the intention of modifying it to suit the van..

Initial frame to start with ...

Modified to accept a hydraulic jack...

In position with brackets to mount to chassis...

All ready to rock and roll with timber outriggers as additional support and over we go, had a friend assisting with clearance checks etc... But actually rolling was done by myself pretty much as the centre of gravity was really good, not bad for a guess.

Back in the garage and the underside is ready to work on.
Was a pain to get back in the garage due to height restrictions so the rotisserie needs modifying to lower everything about 50mm to avoid future issues.

I have areas to repair under here and I can also put some extras welds on the floor before everything gets seam sealed up.
Feels good to finally be at this stage!

herman_t25

Post by herman_t25 »

looks great! just caught up and the level of work is impressive  :ok

BigBlueVan

Post by BigBlueVan »

cleaning up the underside (front area)

First on the list was the get all the rust and crud removed from the front section of the vans underside.

Some repairs were needed to where the tierods attach, rust cutout, cleaned up and a new patch panel was made and welded in

Then the rest of the rust was removed and surfaces treated with phosphoric acid before a coat of etch primer to protect.

Next job was installing the outrigger closing panels, one original VW panel, the other was homemade (details early in this thread approx December 2021)

ImageImageImageImage

A repair was made to the crossmember the tierods attach to as the central section was too rusty to bother cleaning up, easier to chop out and install fresh metal.

All the welds were then cleaned back and more etch primer applied.

Some more little bits to tidy up then moving onto the central floor section which should be a fairly simple affair.

shepster
80-90 Mem No: 1342

Post by shepster »

Fantastic work, something I would have considered is chopping in a factory window aperture and getting hold of a factory window sliding door too.

I take it you're doing away with the rear windows?
2.1 DJ running on carb and LPG.

BigBlueVan

Post by BigBlueVan »

shepster wrote: 29 Nov 2022, 14:38

Yes I am deleting the rear side windows.
It only ever had 1 side window,, it was either have both sides or none, I choose to remove them.

pugvan
80-90 Mem No: 16121

Post by pugvan »

BigBlueVan wrote: 01 Dec 2022, 19:57
shepster wrote: 29 Nov 2022, 14:38 Good choice deleting the rear windows.Can i ask what the deal is with the phosphoric acid  how is it used where do you get it and does it need to be washed off cheers.

Yes I am deleting the rear side windows.
It only ever had 1 side window,, it was either have both sides or none, I choose to remove them.

BigBlueVan

Post by BigBlueVan »

Making engine bay panels

The van has been popped back onto its dolly and the rotisserie removed to allow the engine bay panels to be made.

Cardboard templates, cutting, bending and the bead roller got me this panel made..

A smaller peice was then made which finishes the section off...

And installed into position...

Make the same for the other side and then weld them in...

Clean up and etch primer applied...

Viewed from in the arch...

Overall I'm really pleased how these turned out.
I have welded in a section of unistrut channel under the central part, I plan on the central panel to be removable, but this will made to suit in the future when an engine has been installed.