Cruise control instalation and alternative parts.

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Re: Cruise control instalation and alternative parts.

Post by maxstu »

Are there any RHD vans in the UK fitted with factory CC? It seems to me only US vanagons and european left handers' have this optional extra.

At present lm in the process of changing coolant pipes and heater pipes from engine area to front of vehicle. So while my camper is blocked up, now is the time to fit cruise control wiring and vacuum pipe.

With the the fuel tank dropped by a few inches l fed a mouse line over the top. And today l fed the vacuum pipe from engine bay to front of vehicle area through a large rubber grommet where heater pipes and heater control cable enter's the vehicle. Will use the same place for the three wire cable
for power too.

Im considering leaving a mouse line over top of fuel tank for future use. No harm surely?

The brake vacuum switch is next. Fitted to factory holes in bulkhead by steering column.

More tomorrow...
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
1987 DG1.9 LPG Auto Autosleeper
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Instead of messing with the vacuum switch l decided to take out the speedo/clock pod and fit a Gowesty speed sensor.

The original VW VS sensor come's with just two wires (see Rascal's install), whereas the Gowesty product has three. One for power, one for earth and grey goes to terminal 5 in the CC ECU....(l think!) picking up speed signal.

The usual procedure to remove speedo pod...release switches either side, release multi-pin connector and speedo cable, and then undo screws at each corner and lift away.

There's a snap-off panel at the rear of the speedo. I think only on later 1985/6 onwards vehicles?

The Gowesty VSS is not a straightforward fit, though. Some trimming with a very sharp craft knife needed to enlarge width of hole in the back of the speedo.

I thought l had a photo off VSS fitted. Note small V cut out for VSS wiring.

Now it lines up with holes inside speedo panel and attach using supplied screws from Gowesty.

Im using a 1986 Passat/Golf cruise control ECU. Ive been assured it will fine to use as it has the same last six part numbers.

More tomorrow....
Last edited by maxstu on 30 Aug 2022, 20:46, edited 1 time in total.
MaxStu

Smiffo
80-90 Mem No: 15151

Post by Smiffo »

maxstu wrote: 28 Aug 2022, 17:23 Are there any RHD vans in the UK fitted with factory CC? It seems to me only US vanagons and european left handers' have this optional extra.

More tomorrow...

There was a RHD van on ebay a while ago being broken.
It had CC apparently, although I have no idea if it was a factory fitted, or retro fitted solution.

I was tempted, but I just have too much going on already to consider fitting that too. :shock:
'89 1.9 DG

“It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.” ~ Mark Twain.

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Hi Steve,

I could be wrong..often am! :rollin
But Stateside vanagons and top of the range euro models often came with wiring connectors incorporated into the main wiring loom. One in engine bay black box for CC pump wiring and another under dash for ECU.

Wiring in ECU loom and mounting control box, and swapping indicator lever for CC version tomorrow
MaxStu

Smiffo

Post by Smiffo »

maxstu wrote: 30 Aug 2022, 20:55 Hi Steve,

I could be wrong..often am! :rollin
But Stateside vanagons and top of the range euro models often came with wiring connectors incorporated into the main wiring loom. One in engine bay black box for CC pump wiring and another under dash for ECU.

Wiring in ECU loom and mounting control box, and swapping indicator lever for CC version tomorrow

Do standard looms not have the wires existing then?
You have to run that yourself?
'89 1.9 DG

“It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.” ~ Mark Twain.

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

MaxStu

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

With both vacuum hose and homemade (trailer cable) three core loom now fed to drivers' area, using new wiring, it is the time to test it works the vacuum pump back inside engine.

Rascal did give me a brief how to test pump using a 12 volt battery. Cannot remember though!!!
Does anyone know the wiring procedure to quickly check.... pump, hold and release?
MaxStu

weimarbus
80-90 Mem No: 10165

Post by weimarbus »

Hi Stu, watching with interest, I thought that the brake and clutch pedal switches were a safety requirement to switch off the cc ecu, my Audi cc certainly works that way
1985 hi-top 2.1MV with DG carb and LPG
1955 trials buggy with 1.9 DG high lift cam and twin dell's (now sold)
1972 1303 beetle
1992 Audi 100 2.8 quattro estate
1967 Vw  Madison kit

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Hello Andrew,
Hope you are well?
Yes, you are correct. I am testing extended wiring for the CC pump back in engine bay, and the vacuum control at the brake pedal (auto).
On testing the hold, pump and release all working as it should. Yet the pump is not strong enough to move the connector rod attached to the throttle. So either pump is knackered or another unforeseen issue to investigate.
I may well need another pump is my gut feeling. :roll:
MaxStu

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Aside from concerns that the pump may not be up to the task, l decided to push on with some wiring.

Unhooked the fusebox and laid bare it's dusty backside. Found an ignition live only spare spade (perhaps G5? Haven't a clue!) and made up a short 12 volt feed wire with a 15amp fuse.

This will connect with the Gowesty VSS red wire and the cruise control ECU loom power in black wire.

Easiest place to mount CC ECU box was under dash by drivers' door (RHD) and secured it's earth wire to cross member near steering column.

This places all additional wiring near enough to different fittings such as brake pedal vacuum switch, brake light switch and and two more VSS wires to connect to ECU loom, the pulse and earth and the three wires from pump in engine bay.

More tomorrow....
MaxStu

Smiffo

Post by Smiffo »

maxstu wrote:Aside from concerns that the pump may not be up to the task, l decided to push on with some wiring.

Unhooked the fusebox and laid bare it's dusty backside. Found an ignition live only spare spade (perhaps G5? Haven't a clue!) and made up a short 12 volt feed wire with a 15amp fuse.

This will connect with the Gowesty VSS red wire and the cruise control ECU loom power in black wire.

Easiest place to mount CC ECU box was under dash by drivers' door (RHD) and secured it's earth wire to cross member near steering column.

This places all additional wiring near enough to different fittings such as brake pedal vacuum switch, brake light switch and and two more VSS wires to connect to ECU loom, the pulse and earth and the three wires from pump in engine bay.

More tomorrow....
Was there a UK supplier of GoWesty bits that you used Stuart, or did you get them mailed from the US?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'89 1.9 DG

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

I actually bought the Gowesty VSS from a forum member in the UK. But have used Gowesty state-side before. IN 2021 I put an order together with Rascal for some specific items. Can't recall what they are. But PAS filters were deffo ordered. A good price too.
MaxStu

Robsey
80-90 Mem No: 11137

Post by Robsey »

Just to confirm both G2 and G5 are ignition live terminals. :ok
1983 Tin Top with a poorly DF and 4 speed DT box.
1987 Electrics and a DJ engine.
Maybe one day I might get it finished

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Robsey wrote: 01 Sep 2022, 18:42 Just to confirm both G2 and G5 are ignition live terminals. :ok

Thank you. :ok

I really couldn't identify G2 or G5. So l just took the first spare terminal going live with ignition on.
Last edited by maxstu on 01 Sep 2022, 22:13, edited 1 time in total.
MaxStu

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

I believe Campervan Culture run by Jed the Spread supplies parts from Gowesty...
MaxStu