Where to mount an eber in an Aircooled

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Re: Where to mount an eber in an Aircooled

Post by Mocki »

My van is petrol / lpg , my heater a eberspácher diesel , so separate tank essential.
We use the van all year round , and often in mid winter the heater is on thermostat control for a week constantly, day and night to keep the van at 18°C To 20°C . No point having central heating and being cold
I burn Kerosene (@50ppl) by choice , but have the option of roadfuel diesel if need be . Can easily use 8 litres a week

Have you seen the price of petrol ? I hardly every have more than 1/4 of a tank in the van for the engine .
Hardly every run the engine on petrol , way too dear .
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

zoona
80-90 Mem No: 17130

Post by zoona »

At the risk of sounding like a massive "idiot"... I never look at the price of petrol.
If the car/van needs filling, it gets filled. If I need to look at the price of petrol, I need to get rid of some cars...
1987 Westfalia High Top Joker. DG SP
1993 MX5 turbo track car

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

bigherb wrote: 30 Oct 2020, 10:38
zoona wrote: 30 Oct 2020, 08:58
bigherb wrote: 30 Oct 2020, 07:55
If you are fitting a Diesel heater and have a petrol engine you can't. And you can run the Diesel heater on cheaper Red Diesel or Kerosene home heating oil @ around 60p per litre.

Ah, ok. I have petrol so bought a petrol heater... Saves a lot of pissing about with another tank. And diesel is bloody disgusting anyway, so didn't want that anywhere near my van.
Does anybody use a heater enough for that fuel price difference to be significant?

Horses for courses I guess.
It is more you can get new Diesel heater kits for between £80-£100, plus Diesel/Kerosene has more energy than Petrol so you burn less per kW. Camping in the winter I can easily burn 20+ ltr of Kero a week.

Not as much as you make out!

1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Post by Stesaw »

zoona wrote: 30 Oct 2020, 15:30 At the risk of sounding like a massive "idiot"... I never look at the price of petrol.
If the car/van needs filling, it gets filled. If I need to look at the price of petrol, I need to get rid of some cars...

I agree with you, I think if we cared about our MPG that much we wouldn't own these old boxes  :lol: .
Although having said that I personally want to get the most milage I can on a tank. But as you said, if it needs it, it get's it. The van is a greedy sod! To be fair I don't think I do that bad for fuel even when doing 200 mile round trips as I can do on one tank and still have some spare. 

I think as long as your feet aren't made of lead you can get some semi decent figures on MPG.. roads / load depending I guess!
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

Oldiebut goodie wrote: 30 Oct 2020, 16:52
bigherb wrote: 30 Oct 2020, 10:38
zoona wrote: 30 Oct 2020, 08:58

Ah, ok. I have petrol so bought a petrol heater... Saves a lot of pissing about with another tank. And diesel is bloody disgusting anyway, so didn't want that anywhere near my van.
Does anybody use a heater enough for that fuel price difference to be significant?

Horses for courses I guess.
It is more you can get new Diesel heater kits for between £80-£100, plus Diesel/Kerosene has more energy than Petrol so you burn less per kW. Camping in the winter I can easily burn 20+ ltr of Kero a week.
Not as much as you make out!

I never mentioned an amount.
But it is a fact Diesel gives around 10.9 kWh per ltr, Kerosene 10.3 kWh, Petrol  9.6 kWh and LPG a dismal 7.1 kWh

1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

lowtimeppl
80-90 Mem No: 13529

Post by lowtimeppl »

I have a 2.0 CU Aircooled Autohomes camper that had a Remotron gas-powered heater in the massive space behind the 'radiator' grille. So when I yanked that heater out, that's where I mounted the Chinese knock-off Eberspacher diesel heater. I have mounted a small (2.5l) fuel tank behind the grille also, so all the diesel, the exhaust, everything is kept outside of the accommodation. I have connected the heater to the standard ventilation system, like the old heater was.

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Why fit a diesel heater when you have a great big tank of petrol there already?
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

bigherb

Post by bigherb »

lowtimeppl wrote: 16 Oct 2021, 19:43 I have a 2.0 CU Aircooled Autohomes camper that had a Remotron gas-powered heater in the massive space behind the 'radiator' grille. So when I yanked that heater out, that's where I mounted the Chinese knock-off Eberspacher diesel heater. I have mounted a small (2.5l) fuel tank behind the grille also, so all the diesel, the exhaust, everything is kept outside of the accommodation. I have connected the heater to the standard ventilation system, like the old heater was.
That is where I mounted my front one, but runs off the rear tank in the wardrobe.

sarran1955
80-90 Mem No: 6754
Location: 6, les Hauts de Sarran 19800, Sarran ,Limousin ,FRANCE

Post by sarran1955 »

Hello,
lowtimeppl wrote: 16 Oct 2021, 19:43

I have a 2.0 CU Aircooled Autohomes camper that had a Remotron gas-powered heater in the massive space behind the 'radiator' grille. So when I yanked that heater out, that's where I mounted the Chinese knock-off Eberspacher diesel heater. I have mounted a small (2.5l) fuel tank behind the grille also, so all the diesel, the exhaust, everything is kept outside of the accommodation. I have connected the heater to the standard ventilation system, like the old heater was.
Although I have posted here with my underslung Eber, your set up looks very interesting... 8)

I am bringing my Air-Cooled van up to EU and VASP spec, and so have to remove the current heater, and use the hole left on the underside as ventilation for the cabin.

Could you please post some more pics, particularly the fuel tank and its access through the front grille.

Cordialement,

:ok

cjtopman
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by cjtopman »

bigherb wrote: 16 Oct 2021, 20:40
lowtimeppl wrote: 16 Oct 2021, 19:43 I have a 2.0 CU Aircooled Autohomes camper that had a Remotron gas-powered heater in the massive space behind the 'radiator' grille. So when I yanked that heater out, that's where I mounted the Chinese knock-off Eberspacher diesel heater. I have mounted a small (2.5l) fuel tank behind the grille also, so all the diesel, the exhaust, everything is kept outside of the accommodation. I have connected the heater to the standard ventilation system, like the old heater was.
That is where I mounted my front one, but runs off the rear tank in the wardrobe.

Hello, Ive just got hold of a diesel heater for my Aircooled t25.  I'd like to install behind the grill as you have done.  Could you share how you fixed this in?  My plan was to attach to the main heating vents as it looks like you've done. 
thanks,
Christian 

bigherb

Post by bigherb »

cjtopman wrote: 13 Apr 2022, 17:50 Hello, Ive just got hold of a diesel heater for my Aircooled t25.  I'd like to install behind the grill as you have done.  Could you share how you fixed this in?  My plan was to attach to the main heating vents as it looks like you've done. 
thanks,
Christian 
I folded the mounting plate and screwed it to the front beam and made a bracket to support the rear of the plate. I have a separate duct as my original heater still works quite well.

In the process of fitting it.

lowtimeppl

Post by lowtimeppl »

sarran1955 wrote: 17 Oct 2021, 08:37 Hello,
lowtimeppl wrote: 16 Oct 2021, 19:43

Although I have posted here with my underslung Eber, your set up looks very interesting... 8)

I am bringing my Air-Cooled van up to EU and VASP spec, and so have to remove the current heater, and use the hole left on the underside as ventilation for the cabin.

Could you please post some more pics, particularly the fuel tank and its access through the front grille.

Cordialement,

Hi there
Sorry for the delay in responding, I hadn't noticed a notification.
Rather than post pictures, I have strung them together in a YT video with captions, link below. 
Best watched in larger view and sorry for the font colours, I tried to make the captions stand out. Just pause and read. Cheers.

lowtimeppl

Post by lowtimeppl »

cjtopman wrote: 13 Apr 2022, 17:50
bigherb wrote: 16 Oct 2021, 20:40

Hello, Ive just got hold of a diesel heater for my Aircooled t25.  I'd like to install behind the grill as you have done.  Could you share how you fixed this in?  My plan was to attach to the main heating vents as it looks like you've done. 
thanks,
Christian 

Hi there...sure, I just posted this video to YT which shows how I did it. I have replied to another member in this thread with the same link, in case it gets removed as a duplicate or something. Enjoy.

sarran1955
80-90 Mem No: 6754
Location: 6, les Hauts de Sarran 19800, Sarran ,Limousin ,FRANCE

Post by sarran1955 »

lowtimeppl wrote: 10 May 2022, 22:46
sarran1955 wrote: 17 Oct 2021, 08:37 Hello,:ok
Hi there
Sorry for the delay in responding, I hadn't noticed a notification.
Rather than post pictures, I have strung them together in a YT video with captions, link below. 
Best watched in larger view and sorry for the font colours, I tried to make the captions stand out. Just pause and read. Cheers.

Thank you for the slide show, this gives pause for thought.
I am still awaiting the final VASP visit and the new log book, but things are advancing.

Cordialement,

Davegrohl99
80-90 Mem No: 16802

Post by Davegrohl99 »

I put my heater in the original position that my old eber was. I was able to plumb the vents into the old channel so comes out the original hole under the back seat.

Works great.

Can take a few licks at the weekend if you want?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1981 Westfalia 2.0 CU engine.
1971 Early Bay Microbus.