Electric motor homes and camper vans

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Re: Electric motor homes and camper vans

Post by TONYT25T25 »

:( I would expect in the not to distant future that a different driving test or amendment to the driving test similar to that relating to automatic cars and manual ones, where if you past your test in a manual car it qualifies you for an Auto but not vice versa.  So if you pass your test in an electric car you should not be allowed to drive a non electric vehicle.
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Post by clift_d »

TONYT25T25 wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 13:04 :( I would expect in the not to distant future that a different driving test or amendment to the driving test similar to that relating to automatic cars and manual ones, where if you past your test in a manual car it qualifies you for an Auto but not vice versa. So if you pass your test in an electric car you should not be allowed to drive a non electric vehicle.

That would make sense, but I can imagine the car manufacturers will lobby hard to avoid that situation - they've too much riding on the transition to electric cars to allow them to be seen as a 'lesser' vehicle.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

TONYT25T25

Post by TONYT25T25 »

Quest or Quest plus 1 has an interesting programme regarding electric mods to older cars at 1700/1800 each evening called Vintage Voltage.

TONYT25T25

Post by TONYT25T25 »

Not wishing to start a new thread but mentioning the recent increases to utility bills here with regards to charging electric vehicles, has anybody worked out how much it will cost to run an electric vehicle now and in the future, if bills are to double then charging a electric car will also double and will increase even more in the future especially external of the home. 

nicq
80-90 Mem No: 10290

Post by nicq »

clift_d wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 15:20
TONYT25T25 wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 13:04 :( I would expect in the not to distant future that a different driving test or amendment to the driving test similar to that relating to automatic cars and manual ones, where if you past your test in a manual car it qualifies you for an Auto but not vice versa. So if you pass your test in an electric car you should not be allowed to drive a non electric vehicle.

That would make sense, but I can imagine the car manufacturers will lobby hard to avoid that situation - they've too much riding on the transition to electric cars to allow them to be seen as a 'lesser' vehicle.

I believe that is what we have now. If the car is auto you get an auto licence. You can upgrade by taking a further test to a manual licence.
2.1 Twin slider

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

I saw the CEO of BP being interviewed a couple of days ago. He explained that his company is moving away from oil and gas production towards building renewables. They now have a programme of installing electric charging units at all their service stations. They plan to move out of gas and oil production over the next twenty years or so. If the big guns are moving on then we will have to as well. I guess this is all about the interests of shareholders driving policy.

TONYT25T25

Post by TONYT25T25 »

I wonder if he sold all his BP shares before he said that.   :lol:

keynsham1
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by keynsham1 »

I read the other day in an internet report that for the amount of energy produced by the fossil fuels we use (and that includes absolutely evereything, cars, trains, planes, poer stations, heating, manufacturing, plastics etc, etc), worldwide we only have about 10% of the energy production capacity using any other known power sources. So basically we cannot just move to another way of producing the required energy as one doesn't exist!!

Apparently BMW are still developing new petrol and diesel engines too, as although we might be hoping to stop sales soon, most countires aren't and the market will continue to be huge!!

Last interesting fact (I thought!). Apparently using E10 instead of E5 petrol will reduce our CO2 output by 7,500,000 tonnes a year. That sounds great until you know that the transport system in the UK, (again all of it, cars, trains, buses, planes etc), produce 120,000,000 tonnes of CO2 per year. So assuming all vehicles run on petrol which of course they don't, using E10 reduces our theoretical output by around 6%. But you would have to remove trains, aircraft, shipping etc from that figure as they don't use petrol, and I suspect they produce the most CO2 by far, so the overall effect is probably negligible!

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Always remember that the term "carbon footprint" was invented by the oil industry as a way of shifting the blame away from corporations and onto the individual.