Eberspacher heater using old controls westfalia new heater

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

clobber
80-90 Mem No: 0

Eberspacher heater using old controls westfalia new heater

Post by clobber »

Hi everyone, i have a 87 Joker, im looking into buying a new ebersacher heater, the original was removed but i still have all the controls in the van, i would love to be able to
run a new heater off the old controls (Timer & thermostat) and wondered if this is possible, also to under-sling it, love to chat to any one how has succeeded in doing this.
Thanks in advance Richard

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Re: Eberspacher heater using old controls westfalia new heater

Post by California Dreamin »

A Webasto 2000S or 2000ST Fits very nicely into the original eberspacher box. The Webasto timer/heater control is also a perfect replacement for the original 'control only' ebber unit in the door card.
The LED timer control in the R&R base is removed and replaced with a small vent...it all looks original when finished apart from you have a modern heater and control fitted.
Oldiebutgoodie is your man on here for supply.

I will post pics.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

clobber

Post by clobber »

Thanks Martin, sadly i dont have the old box, wall all removed, just the diesel pump, and electrics. these are the type of controls in the van. my main wants are use old controls or place new ones in there place, i would love to try keep the van authentic but with a modern reliable heater. im looking into other ways of under-slinging it, either finding an old metal box or fabricating something.
Attachments
WestfaliaAtlanticEber.jpg
WestfaliaAtlanticEber.jpg (11.34 KiB) Viewed 2813 times
WestfaliaAtlanticEberTimer.jpg
WestfaliaAtlanticEberTimer.jpg (5.71 KiB) Viewed 2813 times

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

A Webasto will not take up much more room than the shelf that currently sits over your vents entrance to the van from underneath. One problem would be your charger which I believe is under there also.The S and ST Webasto Airtop will go in a space roughly 16" x 6" x6".
If you really must mount it underneath you will have to source an old Eberspächer B2L/D2L box and rebuild the setup or use a Webasto Airtop 2000/ Eberspächer Airtronic external box (which are not cheap - around £75 is the cheapest that I have seen but is stainless)
The Combitimer used on the Airtonics and Airtops will fit in one cutout and there is a solution for the other one - there are alarm clocks that fit the same aperture. I haven't seen any for a while but I have 2 - in my vans. I could dig out the details if you ever need to know.

An Airtop 2000D mounted in an old Eberspächer box.

1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

California Dreamin

So....my two controls (timer & switch) were exactly the same as yours.....now they look like this:

Best thing about this swap is its identical in size and shape so literally swaps without modification.

And
As the timer in now incorporated in the ONE control the old timer is now defunct but this neat little vent certainly looks the part and actually is beneficial as it helps vent the heat from the BBB charger just below and behind the vent.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

clobber

Post by clobber »

Hi thanks for the info, its a great help, im going to mount in under for space saving and noise if i can, also i know its silly but feel a little unsafe having a diesel heater under my bed, will consider my options for mounting it, will keep an eye on auction sites for a old box. i have seen the Stainless steel ones for £75 but being tight im now thinking of converting an old metal ammo and hammerighting it... the Webasto timer looks great thanks California Dreamin!

California Dreamin

I might be able to help you out with an old eberspacher box...someone PM'd me saying they had a couple that they would be happy to send me if I covered post. I am sure if you explain your situation they would send you one instead...I will PM you with his contact details.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

Joshmoorelough

Post by Joshmoorelough »

California Dreamin wrote: 04 Sep 2016, 15:21 So....my two controls (timer & switch) were exactly the same as yours.....now they look like this:

Best thing about this swap is its identical in size and shape so literally swaps without modification.

And
As the timer in now incorporated in the ONE control the old timer is now defunct but this neat little vent certainly looks the part and actually is beneficial as it helps vent the heat from the BBB charger just below and behind the vent.

Martin

Did you use anything to hold the heater inside the box without moving around ? Do you have any more pictures as I'm doing the same. Thank you

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

Don't hold your breath waiting for a reply. He's not been on here for three years fella.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

Oldiebut goodie

Better to ask the designer of the setup!

Plate as at bottom right.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Oldiebut goodie

I make them so that they are the correct size to fit inside the box.

California Dreamin had one of my kits )
Last edited by Oldiebut goodie on 26 Mar 2024, 15:28, edited 1 time in total.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

I didn't know you made them Rick.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

westie87

Post by westie87 »

Hi @oldiebut goodie, could you please let me know a price for a replacement heater that fits the original under slung box? I have original DL2 fitted, with just the thermostat control panel, no timer. I’d be looking to use original exhaust etc.
cheers!