rm122 fridge problem

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

fazzer
80-90 Mem No: 7803

rm122 fridge problem

Post by fazzer »

apologies about another fridge problem ,haven,t used it for 2 years did usual trick turn it upside down for 24 hrs but still not getting cold,the icebox does get cold though my question is does the icebox chill the whole fridge or are they 2 separate things.Also the pipe work and flue get quite hot is this normal.

a1winchester
80-90 Mem No: 7187

Re: rm122 fridge problem

Post by a1winchester »

Ice box cools the whole fridge I believe.
What power source are you using when the flu gets warm?
1990 Autosleeper Trident. Water cooled 1.9L DG + 4 speed manual box

fazzer

Post by fazzer »

I'm test running it on gas,after about an hour the flu and back of fridge is hot,can actually feel warm air coming through top vent.

a1winchester
80-90 Mem No: 7187

Post by a1winchester »

Have you tried running the fridge with freezer blocks in the ice compartment? I find that this helps to provide a reservoir of 'coolth' so that whenever the door is opened and warm air allowed to re-enter, the fridge doesn't have to work quite so hard to get things back to temperature. It also helps to have some items in the fridge being chilled - bottles / cans of beer for example??? An empty fridge isn't very efficient.

Yo can see the manual at http://www.manualslib.com/manual/45689/ ... =14#manual and other places if you haven't got one.
1990 Autosleeper Trident. Water cooled 1.9L DG + 4 speed manual box

fazzer

Post by fazzer »

Thank you I will try that I have a good stash of beer,will try the ice blocks as well.Really more worried about safety I've never really trusted camper fridges and the heating up of back of fridge.

mike9009
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by mike9009 »

You need to run the fridge for at least a couple of hours on gas for it to get 'cold'. You should also notice it getting cold (at least the ice tray) once you have driven for an hour or so - although this is not as effective as gas!

The heat you feel is normal, just make sure you have connected the exhaust back correctly and the vents at the front are clear...... make sure you do have a carbon monoxide detector in the van to make sure if there are any issues you know about them. I usually run my fridge during the day and turn off at night if I am sleeping in the van because of my paranoia.

The other advice is also worthwhile and I find beer works best too :)

HTH

Mike

fazzer

Post by fazzer »

Thanks Mike everything is fitted right an no obstructions and I do have a carbon monoxide tester which hasn't gone off,I'm now trying it with a couple of ice packs to see if it helps it along.there is a hole in floor and a mesh box attached to inner sill but the ducting between them has perished so going to replace it today see if this helps.