1y diesel question?

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

jonnyoffcas79
80-90 Mem No: 0

1y diesel question?

Post by jonnyoffcas79 »

Hi guys been a while, I have a new engine to fit in my van 1.9 1y. My question is can I keep the 1y inlet manifold? If possible can anyone send me any pictures of a fitted engine. And maybe an idea of where wires go because some twit removed them and didn't know where they came from!

clone123

Re: 1y diesel question?

Post by clone123 »

Hi have a look here maybe some help
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=107034" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just doing this myself taking a 1.6td out and putting 1.9d 1y in
1985 RHD T25 hightop camper 1.9td 1Y engine
It's always easier with a friend

Smcknighty
80-90 Mem No: 14436

Post by Smcknighty »

I'm doing mine as well. I have taken the 1y inlet and outlet off and reused the existing stuff. Maybe in the future I might reuse the original, want to get it running as simply as possibly first. From what I read the 1y intake is a side of engine bay clearance problem. Will be easier to figure when engine is in (even easier to just forget about it!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Post by colinthefox »

When you're considering which inlet system to use, could I just bang on again (as I often do) about inlet tract noise?

I tried all sorts of setups, but the quietest by far was the standard one.

The inlet tract is absolutely vital to reduce noise. If you want a quiet life (from the front passenger seat as well as from the engine) I would recommend using he original snorkel tube connected to the CS inlet manifold and filter box with a proper flexible air hose. You can fettle the ports a bit with a file to improve the port matching. K&N filters are OK, but I think you'll get fed up with the noise very quickly. The snorkel tube is a noise attenuator in it's own right, and the air scoop a the top is well designed for cool air intake, and to reduce the chances of water getting in and ruining the engine. I replaced the snorkel tube with a larger size to improve airflow a bit because the original was pretty scabby.
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

clone123

Post by clone123 »

I am taking out a 1.6td jx engine as the head has gone so I can recondition it and putting in the 1y with turbo just to get me up and running. If any of you guys who are putting the 1y in and thinking of putting a turbo on it look here this may help.
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=153174" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1985 RHD T25 hightop camper 1.9td 1Y engine
It's always easier with a friend