poor starting ?

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

uglyboatman
80-90 Mem No: 0

poor starting ?

Post by uglyboatman »

My 1.6d has a problem starting at the moment, which im putting down to the cold ? At first i thought the problem was with the starter but the starter will spin ok, and the van takes ages to start, almost as long as you start to worry about draining the battery.

I have noticed it's bad first thing in the morning and when it has been left all day at work - so im thinking it's an issue due to the cold ? as once the van has been running a while, there doesnt seem to be a problem ?

The Glow plug light does come on, for maybe 10-15 seconds ? but always same length of time - I use the cold start handle too.

Is this a glow plug problem or the glow plug relay ? any suggestions on checks i could do ? also could it be an injector problem ?

Would be grateful for any suggestions

Cheers

ermie571
80-90 Mem No: 2129

Post by ermie571 »

Has your van got SAD (seasonal affective disorder) - buy it a sun lamp....
:lol:

sorry - couldn't resist.

Hope you sort the problem out soon.

Emma

steve8090
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 2

Post by steve8090 »

Deisels are a pig to start in cold weather unless the glow plugs are in more than fair nick, to check them, take out each glow plug connect a wire to the top screw terminal and place across a 12v source with the body of the injector being negative, watch the carbon rod, if it glows red then the glow plug is in fine fettle, check the carbon for burning and pieces missing, once satisfied it is in good condition replace in engine or if not get a new one.
Once you have been through the four plugs and you are happy they are working then check the buzz bar that connects the four plugs together, make sure you have a good electrical connection between the bar and the plug, connect a multimeter, pos to the bar and neg to an earth source, turn on the ignition when the motor is cold, it should register 12v+ for the time the relay is set for or until the lamp exstinguishes on the dashboard, any failure here is either the relay or if its fitted an over zealous temperature sensor which is not allowing the plugs to go live, hope this is of some help.
Steve Shaw
Club80-90 Founder Member
Full Service, LPG conversions, Security and Camper Accessories.
see http://www.gasure.co.uk for full details.
01244 659740

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

and check the fuseable link in the ele trics box under the relay is intact, first!
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

uglyboatman

Post by uglyboatman »

Cheers,

Useful info - i will try all these checks.

Might leave the sunlamp until last though :lol:

uglyboatman

Post by uglyboatman »

hi -

whipped the glow plugs out and tested them all - they were very black - sooty but i guess thats normal ? They all glowed quite healthy then went grey.

Cleaned up the busbar and connection to bright metal and tested voltage, registers 12+ volts all along bar.

Fuse link (the one thats visible under a relay ?) seems in good condition.

I tested the starting, again it refuses to start unless i switch off and on and go through the glow plug sequence. after about 8 times doing this it starts to catch.

I timed the time the glow plug light is on and its 5 seconds every time.

should the glow plugs be on for roughly 40 seconds when its dead cold (8 times 5 seconds...) seems like quite a long time

Am i right in saying this time should be varied in relation to how cold the engine is ? and there is a temp guage that controls this time ?

Any thoughts appreciated !

Cheers

Ivorblueun
80-90 Mem No: 1407

Post by Ivorblueun »

stick a bottle of injector cleaner in the tank and see if things improve
Stu

mine was a blue 89 Td Hitop

angry vanagon
80-90 Mem No: 2314

poor starting

Post by angry vanagon »

try checking for air in clear pipes going to and coming from injection pump when cold starting (you will near a assistant to opperate the starter) could be a air leak in fuel lines or injector spill lines this causes loads of starter winding when cold and starts ok when recently been run as fuel injection lift vacuum has not yet diminished

uglyboatman

Post by uglyboatman »

are the injector spill lines the two short braided hoses coming off each injectors ?

Ye Olde Syncrospares
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1315

Post by Ye Olde Syncrospares »

at this time of year also use the cold start device,this is the handle stricking out the dash on the left of the steering wheel,youd be suprised how many people dont even know its there,cj.
bought some real off roaders!!!!!!!

uglyboatman

Post by uglyboatman »

Hi,

cheers for the replys - I use the cold start device, - i checked it was pulling all the way on the pump too so i guess i can rule that out - But there may be something in the air in the clear pipes..i have noticed air bubbles before in the clear pipe but have not thought anything about it up to now. The short hoses on the injectors are the same that came with the engine ( it came from another van) - i havent changed them so its possible they could be in bad condition ?

uglyboatman

Post by uglyboatman »

hi - replaced the short fuel hoses and no improvement on the starting prob, there is the odd bubble along the clear fuel pipe before starting - should this be complelely air free at all times ?

Also it seems to crank slowly for about 2-3 times (after doing the glow plug on and off for about 8 times) then seems to speed up cranking for a few more times then catches.

Is there a way of setting how long the glow plug light is on for ? i have noticed on some other posts mention of a tempature switch you can check ? could this be related to my plugs only bieng on for 4-5 seconds ? whats a normal time for the glow plugs to be on, after a cold night ?

Cheers