Another TV problem

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

meggles

Another TV problem

Post by meggles »

Please, can anyone suggest where I go from here. I replaced a double plug socket today. Fitted a fancy silver one 'cos SWMBO wanted to match everything! Anyway, I turned off the power at the 'fuse box' (circuit breakers) and everything was hunky dory. Mother in law goes into her annexe/granny flat and tries the TV. It won't turn on. She usually just presses a red button on the remote control and the TV fires up. I've replaced the batteries in the remote with known good ones. The red stand by light is on but the remote does nothing at all. Any ideas folks? btw, it's a BUSH TV and the aerial connection is taken from the sky lead. It's been working fine for several months. It's almost like the remote isn't sending a signal to the TV or the 'switch' in the TV isn't getting the signal. Many thanks.

SamsBus2012
80-90 Mem No: 11455

Re: Another TV problem

Post by SamsBus2012 »

Presumably there are some controls on the TV? If so, Try pressing the channel change button on the set itself.
Tom (aka Matt)
1986 Hightop with 1.9dg 4spd. The boys call him "Magnus"

meggles

Post by meggles »

Tried that. Nothing happens.

Mark Foss
80-90 Mem No: 4088

Post by Mark Foss »

Has TV got a on/off button on the front. if so try holding that in for a while or unplug and try in the morning.
T25 Tintop homebrew interior
1.9 DG late engine

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Post by what2do »

Remote controls - the bane of my life. I better Getunder would share these woes too.
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Has the remote been switched to vcr/sat/dvd instead of tv. I quite often do that by sitting on the remote and then wonder why the tv won't turn on.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

meggles

Post by meggles »

I'll try the above later when I get in from work. it's mother in laws TV so no rush. Thanks for the above tips. :wink:

Winchweight
80-90 Mem No: 12697

Post by Winchweight »

I presume you've tried the tv on a different set of sockets in main house? Could the granny annex be on a spur and the CB for the sockets has popped?
http://www.thelittleredbus.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

VW 2.1 WBX DJ Syncro Doka - SOLD
VW 1.9 TDi AHU Syncro Camper

meggles

Post by meggles »

The standby light on the TV comes on. We've just put a spare TV in the room and that works ok. Good thought though.

zzippyman
80-90 Mem No: 12294

Post by zzippyman »

meggles wrote: it's mother in laws TV so no rush. :wink:

I like that - you're a brave man :rofl

As has been suggested, try checking the remote to see if any buttons have been pressed down and stuck.

You say you've tried the buttons on the TV itself and nothing happens then as well? Assuming it's a flatscreen TV, if you turn up the volume using either the TV control buttons or remote can you hear sound? If you can, can you also see a very dim, faint picture on the TV? If there is it could be a backlight issue - in which case it normally means a new TV as the cost of repair is £stupid.

That said, as the standby light stays at red it does sound like the power's not getting from the power supply to the circuit board inside the TV - might be a cheap fix.

Best of luck :)
Albert, 1987 1.9l dg petrol T25 Hi-top

Sir Brixalot
80-90 Mem No: 8927

Post by Sir Brixalot »

Some TVs will only switch on if a channel button is pushed.. Pressing the 1 button might work. I faffed around for ages with my Samsung TVs on button.,swapping batteries, moving the RC receiver before pressing a channel button. I felt a bit daft :ok
Honorary "Dave" 

meggles

Post by meggles »

Thanks a million for your ideas folks. In desperation I decided to check the remote batteries.... again! Checked all connections and then checked the aerial lead where it sits in a splitter. THE AERIAL LEAD END WAS LOOSE!!!! (This is in another room so never thought to check it until I got desperate). It would appear you need a strong aerial signal to make the remote trigger anything in the TV. Now, when I were a lad a good bang on the top of the TV fixed most faults :roll: Anyway, thanks again chaps.