NA Subaru Engine Conversion...maybe??

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mshaw1980
80-90 Mem No: 14800

NA Subaru Engine Conversion...maybe??

Post by mshaw1980 »

After looking at prices for parts to rebuild my 1.9 waterboxer I am actually wondering if I would be better off sticking a N/A subaru engine in. Can probably get one with all ancillaries for about £400-£500. Anyone else done this? If so, how difficult was it to do, bearing in mind that I am a competent mechanic.
Dont want a turbo, just a nice torquey and reliable engine.
1987 VW T25: Subaru EJ20 using RJES parts (If it was meant to go fast it wouldn't be brick shaped!)

zedd
80-90 Mem No: 12877

Re: NA Subaru Engine Conversion...maybe??

Post by zedd »

just done my Aircooled to 2.5 na subaru conversion it will cost you around £1500 if using rjes parts which i did including having the loom sorted plus the cost of the subaru , have been out in mine for the first time today & goes well glad i done it & i had rjes sort the loom out to keep the cruise control off the subaru which is handy

bruced
80-90 Mem No: 7300

Post by bruced »

Hi - Go for it!!!!. Did the same conversion as above using the RJES. All went in well and I am not a competent mechanic just took my time and followed the instructions /DVD sent out by Richard. I would try and buy a whole shell rather than just the lump as I can guarantee there will be something that your engine does not come with. Good luck
1983 Watercooled 1.9L Now (Now Subaru EJ25 transplant)
LeisureDrive HiTop

boardmonkey
80-90 Mem No: 6853

Post by boardmonkey »

Agreed with the above, price can vary depending on model, condition and extra work....buy a complete donor car to ensure you have all the bits....read up on RJES website.

I got a MY99 Legacy, automatic with an EJ25 lump for 500.00, only 49K on the clock......have just stripped out the wiring loom ready to send off to RJES.

As its an auto box it needs a manual flywheel, clutch kit few other bits to convert from auto > manual...plus am going to do the heads and cam belt whilst lump is out..adds another chunk to the price just so you know...this age of legacy can be prone to head failure around the 70K mark...

My current list is about 2K...NOT incl. the car....exhaust or sump modifications required... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

n-a bell housing 470
clutch kit 105
harness modification 340
front extension harness 60
t25 2wd engine mount 165
throttle cable 44
induction hose kit (Phase I) 65
fuel pump
fuel filter 10
reversed coolant manifold 50
coolant plumbing kit 110
short alternator belt 9
vehicle speed sensor 45
clutch shaft 32
clutch shaft fitting kit 16
flywheel bolts (manual, single mass flywheel) 10
Upper bell housing bolts 6
cam belt guide 14
flywheel 90
Head Gasket set 200
cam belt 60
Breather Cover Kit, steel, EJ series 15

Total 1916
''Nellie'' born 01/87 Hannover WV2ZZZ25ZHH067456 now fitting with a new heart EJ25 N/A