RA/SB engine option

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

jerrybus
80-90 Mem No: 0

RA/SB engine option

Post by jerrybus »

Hi, after mulling over the SDI alternative for the tired JX in our van, I opted for an SB motor. I've been trying to search for info on fitting them, the usual things to avoid etc, but I can't seem to find anything comprehensive on the SB/RA engines and ended up being sidetracked by the 'is it a GTD engine or not' debate elsewhere. By the way, are all SBs and RAs fitted with hydraulic lifters? I've tried to track down the part number on the cylinder head, 068 103 374G but can't find a match for that either. Thanks

littlejim80

Re: RA/SB engine option

Post by littlejim80 »

Hi Jerry

If its an SB engine, they put them in MK2 GTD (I had one, and miss it, still got the engine) and some passats.

They have hydrolic lifters,

Info on your engine here

http://vnc.thewpp.ca/stuff/bentley/ep0n ... dex-2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or VW diesel web site

As for info on install, go to Brickwerks forum, syncro andy installed one years ago

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/topic19160.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Post by clift_d »

littlejim80 wrote: syncro andy installed one years ago

Also, both mig and dave friday on here are fitting SB engines at the moment.
:ok
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

ELVIS
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3111

Post by ELVIS »

Fitted both over the years. Only thing you have to watch out for is the outer in the core plug for water feed to turbo needs capping and pump is taller.

Far better pump on it. Otherwise treat as a straight jx block swap.

jerrybus

Post by jerrybus »

Thanks littlejim, clift and Elvis. I had seen the Syncroandy post, but the his standards scare me a little. That engine is cleaner than the inside of our dishwasher.

I hoped to avoid cutting the lid and I had the pump on the JX refurbished a couple of years ago so I thought it may be a better bet than the unknown but as the GTD pump is superior I will go ahead and buy the Brickwerks kit.

I've bought a motor thats thought to have done 140,000. Would you fit a new head or just get the original checked? Do they have a history of head gasket failures? It doesn't look like it's been out in the weather, but I don't know how long it's been stood.

What's your opinion on turbo refurbishers? My brother gave me an address to refurbish the pump on the JX a few years back, when I got it back the van wouldn't run at all and it had the same leak that made me try to get it sorted in the first place. To my shame I'd avoided local firms on the spurious grounds that the other bloke was supposed to be an expert. I found a firm (Autoelectric Services) on my doorstep up here in Hull who sorted it properly in a day. It turned out afterwards that our kid's hadn't been sorted properly either!!!

Thanks again for all your help

Aberdeenbus
80-90 Mem No: 6846

Post by Aberdeenbus »

I fitted one in mine a couple of years ago, yep easy fit.
The raise in the engine cover over the pump is hardly noticeable. My turbo started pushing oil past the seals last year so it was packed off to the turbo guy in Glasgow, it returned totally refurbed 4 days later and has been superb.
I would wholeheartedly recommend them and the engine.

Cheers
Si

jerrybus

Post by jerrybus »

Cheers Aberdeenbus I'll give them a try

mig
80-90 Mem No: 4193

Post by mig »

Hi,
Mine is in now and a really great engine,I can't recommend it highly enough if you don't want the expense of fitting a TDI (undoubtedly a far superior engine)
Still having hot start issues with mine although it hasn't yet been timed properly after the pump was off for a re-build.
Turbo was a right sod to re-index,but other than that fairly straight forward.I didn't bother with the water cooling of the turbo,but swapped the core plug for a "normal" one .I find the engine lid fits no problem.
If you have any questions drop me a line and I'll try and help.
Good Luck :ok

clift_d

Post by clift_d »

Well done. Were there any specific modifications required or was it fairly straightforward? Good to hear that it fits under the lid okay - do you have a Syncro or 2WD. Did you use the GTD pump or a JX pump in the end?

max and caddy

Post by max and caddy »

I had hot start issues on an SB engine and the pump head was worn out..it had been run with petrol contaminated fuel for a while...

mig
80-90 Mem No: 4193

Post by mig »

clift_d wrote:Well done. Were there any specific modifications required or was it fairly straightforward? Good to hear that it fits under the lid okay - do you have a Syncro or 2WD. Did you use the GTD pump or a JX pump in the end?

I converted from petrol to diesel,(2wd)I used the GTD pump.Hopefully yours will be easier as you should have all the parts and wiring. Not sure what you mean by specific modifications, I had to buy lots of parts from Brickwerks ,modify the exhaust brackets and the complete kit of parts I bought was an incomplete mixture of JX and CX bits and far from complete….
Not to mention the seals in the injection pump needed re-placing as the engine which had only sat for a couple of weeks had been out of the car at least 12 months, still it helps keep me out of trouble.
:lol:

max and caddy wrote:I had hot start issues on an SB engine and the pump head was worn out..it had been run with petrol contaminated fuel for a while...

Bollox,I have been told there is a good chance it just needs the timing setting up properly with a dial gauge...
Reg Cheeseman fitted new seals and gave the pump a clean bill of health. I have never used him before but his reputation seems very good. Any other symptoms of a worn pump head?
Cheers

littlejim80

Post by littlejim80 »

Hi Jerry

If the engine has no know H/G faults I would not take the head off, these engine's are robust, and will happily do high mileages, as long as it has had regular oil changes. Change the water pump, oil pump, cam belt/tensioner etc. as matter of course, as parts are cheap.
Timing is crucial with these engines to get the most out of them, invest in a dial gauge from Brickwerks, Google Vince Waldron's web page, as he shows clear photos of the procedure, if not good instructions in the Bentley manual/website link I gave you. Sounds complicated at first, but once you have done it once, p*** easy.
Install an intercooler and oil cooler to keep the heat down

cheap version of intercooler here, but to tell the truth buy new, saves loads of time and all clean and new.

http://www.vwdieselparts.com/forum/view ... =8&t=11517" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/mo ... sp-1Timing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://vincewaldon.com/index.php?option ... &Itemid=28" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

General
http://www.vwdieselparts.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Put the GTD pump on, as Elvis said, far better pump, turn the fuelling up slightly, intercooler/oil cooler. If you want it refurbished, send it to Reg Cheeseman,
Put the SB engine in and enjoy, access to engine is from the van is easy, and repair the faults as you find them.

littlejim80

Post by littlejim80 »

Hi Mig

Just read your post relating to your exhaust set up, I know its too late for you as you have bought the parts, but for anybody else for future reference:

Tip

If you are going SB route from petrol van, buy the Late turbo pipe to back box pipe (with 3 bolt flange)

Or

GTI route - buy the exhaust manifold adaptor from Elvis or German/polish bloke (2E net), again using late turbo pipe to back box (with three bolt flange)

you can then buy from the scrappy or new, a Peugeot 206 back box (estate) which has the male indentation on back box. It mates to the female indentation on the late T25 exhaust pipe, (take the exhaust back box to your local exhaust garage and he will probably give you the Peugeot fitting clamp for the price of a coffee)
clamp then together, perfect fit, cut the flange off as it is not needed.

I have GTI conversion (2E) and have been running this set up for the last year, not noisy, and cheaper and quieter than using a diesel set up, and has not stifled the engine.
I managed to pick up a new back box from scrappy for £7, result.

You will need to turn the back box near vertical, for exhaust hangers you can retro fit the rubber hanger from mark 3 golf (back box hanger bolted to car) same type as used on a T4, you may need to fettle the exhaust to clear the rear valance (bend with big F*** off bar) do this before fixing the hangers
If you are a noise sadist, the three bolt flange will mate with a bike can, but I found it noisy.
Saves you welding up your own exhaust, and parts off the shelf.

Tip - GTI route Petrol engine (no battery tray) - air filter - if you are using a cone filter and find it noisy, move your expansion tank and using a early range rover metal cylindrical filter box and filter (1979) - re pipe and locate in right trunk (next to ECU), it is a lot quieter, and has 70mm pipework same diameter as the 70mm diameter fitment you can buy for a (MK2 golf) which attaches to your AFM - perfect fit and oh so quiet.

hope this is of use

littlejim

clift_d

Post by clift_d »

mig wrote:I converted from petrol to diesel,(2wd)I used the GTD pump.
Okay, I hadn't realised your van was petrol - that would make it a bit more involved.
mig wrote:Hopefully yours will be easier as you should have all the parts and wiring. Not sure what you mean by specific modifications, I had to buy lots of parts from Brickwerks ,modify the exhaust brackets and the complete kit of parts I bought was an incomplete mixture of JX and CX bits and far from complete…. Not to mention the seals in the injection pump needed re-placing as the engine which had only sat for a couple of weeks had been out of the car at least 12 months, still it helps keep me out of trouble.
:lol:
We're not looking at an SB just yet, as we're going to see what we can get out of our JX first with a bit of fettling, some cooling, a better pump etc. I've been in touch with regcheeseman and he has made some useful suggestions as to possible options. It's nice to know about the work involved with the SB as it looks like an ideal drop-in replacement for the JX, if ours should decide to give up the ghost.

Thanks again everyone for all the useful info and links - particularly the guide to timing!

jerrybus

Post by jerrybus »

I've been unable to start as planned in October and haven't even kept an eye on your replies to the original post. I might get my first shot at removing the JX this weekend, cue torrential downpour, sub-zero temperatures, no doubt. Thanks for all the helpful posts, particularly littlejim80 for the very useful links. I hope you've got the hot starting sorted Mig. Cheers for all your advice