Thoughts on trailers.....and roof storage.

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

randamonia
80-90 Mem No: 14035

Thoughts on trailers.....and roof storage.

Post by randamonia »

Hi

I know response is probably going to be divided and i'm sure there's other threads but damned if I can find much.....I wanted to get a feel for opinions on camping trailers. I sort of get the impression a lot of folks have them but out and about I can't really remember seeing anyone towing one, so wondered if people really find them useful or they just get used once in a while.

I'm toying with the idea of getting one to make the whole quick getaway process easier. I'm thinking I could have the trailer packed ready to go in the garage, then just hook up and go without having to pack the van up. Having a toddler we carry more gear than we would with just the two of us but we do travel fairly light and in all honesty are still working out our organisation within the van, especially overnight. I'm thinking a trailer might help with general organisation while camping though as well as giving us the chance for a quick getaway in the morning if I choose to pack up the awning etc. the night before.

Thoughts, pro's, cons, recommendations?

On another note we have a hightop (Autohomes Komet) with the roof rack/storage area. What do folks tend to carry up there?

Thanks all for the input.
Last edited by randamonia on 03 Jun 2015, 16:59, edited 1 time in total.
1987 Autohomes Komet 1.9 DG

jack-d
80-90 Mem No: 12231

Re: Thoughts on trailers.....and roof storage.

Post by jack-d »

If you have the space to store a trailer I would opt for one, as you would most likely have to pack the roof box anyway if you use your camper as a daily driver or for day trips.
Image T25 1990 2.1DJ Viper Green Caravelle, converted to Camper

marlinowner
80-90 Mem No: 13646

Post by marlinowner »

A trailer is good if you are going to be doing a mixture of overnight stops and longer stays - awning, table, chairs etc can go in the trailer and are out of the way when stopping overnight.
1993 SA VW T25/T3 2.5i Microbus/homebrew camper
1981/1968 Marlin Kitcar TR6 Engine

Cob20
80-90 Mem No: 13976

Post by Cob20 »

We have a trailer, it came with the van when we bought it. I wasn't too fussed about having it to be honest but on reflection I'm so glad we got it. There's going to be a few of us travelling so all the big stuff can get dumped in there when we are planning on more than a night or two away.

It is also going to be useful when base camp is established for dumping all the crap you don't want in the awning/van (fishing gear, walking boots dirty/wet beach stuff).
1980 2.0l AFC Vanagon Westy

havingagiraffe
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by havingagiraffe »

The little galvanised camping trailers you get in Halford etc are awkward to reverse as they're too small to be seen in the mirrors. On the plus side, they're light enough to unhook and manoeuvre by hand. I've seen a few with castors bolted to the tailgate so the trailer can be upended and pushed through narrow gateways and doorways to be stored for the winter. Clever stuff.

wee bugger
80-90 Mem No: 3238

Post by wee bugger »

We have one of the wee galvanised ones i picked up 2nd hand for £50...as above very handy for all the bulky/wet stuff for both transporting and on storing onsite. Also use a roof box to extend the storage on my tintop. I upend the trailer on an old carcreeper and can wheel it through my back gate when not in use and it is then used to store awnings etc. Again as above the downside of a small trailer is you are paranoid its no longer behind you...
1987 1.6d CS LHD Kombi TinTop

Scotlands Premier VW Club http://www.vwscotclub.co.uk Monthly meets

Cob20
80-90 Mem No: 13976

Post by Cob20 »

wee bugger wrote:Again as above the downside of a small trailer is you are paranoid its no longer behind you...

Thank god its not just me then!! :lol:

I get the daughter to kneel up on the back seat at regular intervals to check we still have it with us!! :idea

And reversing? Forget it! I think that's the only time I get to see it in my mirrors!
1980 2.0l AFC Vanagon Westy

nordberg
80-90 Mem No: 14064

Post by nordberg »

Hi there,
I've not had my van long but am trying to explore all options for different occasions. I had a trailer I modified for a classic mini I had just before I bought the camper. It was just big enough to store a tent and a few other items in it JUST. The lack of size restricted what i could store and kept it realistic \ safe. However, it was modified when my wife had a tow bar fitted to her car and a top box was situated on the top to give extra storage. The idea was to do exactly what you are thinking having it all packed up in the garage ready to go wit the added advantage of keeping your van purley for living and not storage. I like it, but the disadvantage is that you could get charged for it on camp sites, toll roads etc. Oh and you may find yourself in a tricky 'reversing' situation occasionally :roll: . Only minor issues. The pros out way the cons :wink:

I have a pop top campervan and I know that if i stick a roof box on I automatically exclude myself from many car parks so that's a last resort for me. I have a thread going about a Fiamma Ulta Box 320. You may want to consider a couple of the back box options if you already have a bike rack. If you don't have the rack and have to buy one first this option would work out pretty expensive. Not exactly the hook up and go option either if you have a lot of kit to take.
Red Atlantic pop top (1.9AAZ engine)http://www.daswolfgang.com

danmetallic
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 11955

Post by danmetallic »

Personally I find it hard to see why you would want or need a trailer. We have been on some long trips wildcamping and a few campsites and easily fit everything in, on and around the van. Cargo section at the front for table, chairs, windbreak. Trasharoo for boots, levellers, extras. Paulchen for bikes and water. Roof bars for kayak. Keep it lean and mean ;-)
1988 VW T25 Westfalia Club Joker, 2.1 iDJ

nordberg
80-90 Mem No: 14064

Post by nordberg »

Dan,
I like to keep my van space tidy. It annoys me when things are moving around in the back , (folding chairs, tables, utility tents, awning etc). We only ever travel as a couple so I can see how things would be less organised if you introduced another person or two into the equation. With all of these things stored in a trailer, roof box etc you can keep your van as living space so I can absolutely see why people consider these as options. The other benefit is that if it's wet when you pack everything away, your not chucking wet kit into your van when your packing it away (drive away awning is a good example). Just my opinion :wink:
Red Atlantic pop top (1.9AAZ engine)http://www.daswolfgang.com

danmetallic
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 11955

Post by danmetallic »

None of the bits are actually in our van. Inside is purely clothes and food.

I can see the benefits though. Just can't imagine carrying that much to ever need a trailer.
1988 VW T25 Westfalia Club Joker, 2.1 iDJ

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

To those that cannot see the trailer behind them - just fit a camera, I had to to see my dinghy trailer. Ideal to see it but not so much for reversing as the image being reversed confuses the heck out of your brain!
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Tinium
80-90 Mem No: 12269

Post by Tinium »

If you've got a towbar already fitted, try hiring a trailer first - we did this for our round Europe trip, as as mentioned above, glad we did as it meant we could put all the camping stuff in it, and have a nice empty van for lunch breaks, 1 nighters etc. And was far cheaper than buying... :)
1987 Syncro EJ25 Leisuredrive Tin-Top Campervan

SamsBus2012
80-90 Mem No: 11455

Post by SamsBus2012 »

Hi, just as an aside, my Hightop is based on the Komet (cheap copy though). As I don't have the bars attached in the luggage area I have used a set of thule high top bars with a Westy style waterproof bag strapped to them. Loads of dry (so far anyway) storage but a bit of a pain in the a*** getting up to it though my 6'6" height helps! One side effect is that the roof rack gutter mounts damage the silicone seal between body and roof. Currently considering getting a tow hitch and trailer
Tom (aka Matt)
1986 Hightop with 1.9dg 4spd. The boys call him "Magnus"

SamsBus2012
80-90 Mem No: 11455

Post by SamsBus2012 »

danmetallic wrote: I can see the benefits though. Just can't imagine carrying that much to ever need a trailer.

We are starting to get there... when we started we used to take the kitchen sink with us but 3 years on we have been able to cut down considerably. Only thing that takes up loads of room is the awning which we currently stick up on the roof. I think another year of cutting out what we really don't need to take will remove the need for that too.
Tom (aka Matt)
1986 Hightop with 1.9dg 4spd. The boys call him "Magnus"