battery light fuel gauge water temp gauge all staying on

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

fatlowrider
80-90 Mem No: 0

battery light fuel gauge water temp gauge all staying on

Post by fatlowrider »

when i remove the key from the ignition the battery light stays on so dose the fuel gauge and the water temp gauge. i have removed the fuses one at a time but all three remain on .i have tryed removeing the relays one at a time but still the three remain on i have tryed the dash clocks out of my other campervan but still have the same problem i have also swop over the ignition barrel and switch from the other van but still the lights remain on when you remove the keys .i have cleaned all the earth wires at the 2 earthing crowns next to the fuses box and i have unpluged the four plugs that plug into the top of your steering colum and still the light and 2 gauges remain on dont no what to try next can anyone help :(

MidLifeCrisis
80-90 Mem No: 10519

Re: battery light fuel gauge water temp gauge all staying on

Post by MidLifeCrisis »

I don't see any real way that the gauges can get power other than through the ignition switch - are you saying that you can disconnect the connector to the ignition switch and the gauges/lights are still live?
If so, I'd be looking at the ignition connector and seeing if something has melted/degraded to let the input & output short together?!?!
1987 Westfalia Van, Petrol 2.0 AGG

fatlowrider

Post by fatlowrider »

Yep that's what am saying you can unplug all four plug connectors to the steering column and the gauges are still on . So you the ignition is the problem?

fatlowrider

Post by fatlowrider »

Thanks mate I've fitted a new ignition switch about an hour ago it sorted it out all systems go :ok :ok

MidLifeCrisis
80-90 Mem No: 10519

Post by MidLifeCrisis »

Good stuff - glad you got it fixed (but not sure how much use I was!!)
Either way - glad you're back on the road!! :ok
1987 Westfalia Van, Petrol 2.0 AGG