PCB repair

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

captain Byrne
80-90 Mem No: 7107

Re: PCB repair

Post by captain Byrne »

MattBW - Let me know how you get on if you try the fix. Unfortunately, for some strange reason this post has been hijacked and my idea consistently dissed by one particular member. Don't really know why as it's a pretty good repair & as saved me a lot of time & money so please don't be put off, it's prety simple and works incredibly well! I guess there will be another boring reply to this about how rubbish the repair is. Nevermind - can't please everyone all the time.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

I have not dismissed your idea buddy. Please read. Its a nifty solution. My concern is not with your solution but the fragility of these membranes which are getting old. You can sort one problem on them only for another one to turn up somewhere else. That is no reflection on what you have done. I'm a great believer in simple solutions.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

captain Byrne
80-90 Mem No: 7107

Post by captain Byrne »

CovKid wrote:Although having gone to that trouble, you might just as well hard-wire the lot as many of us have done.
Put down

CovKid wrote:You'll still need to be very careful with the rest of the PCB as most are incredibly brittle now. Plastics (at least those used in the 80s) don't have a finite life.
Put down

CovKid wrote:Seen way too many that have started seperating or split. We'll have to agree to disagree on this. Good membranes are becoming increasingly rare. The heat on the dash probably doesn't help.
Put down

CovKid wrote:Long as you're happy with it, thats all that matters. The true test is time.
Put down - of the patronising type

CovKid wrote:I have not dismissed your idea buddy. Please read. Its a nifty solution. My concern is not with your solution but the fragility of these membranes which are getting old. You can sort one problem on them only for another one to turn up somewhere else. That is no reflection on what you have done. I'm a great believer in simple solutions.
Put down dressed up as a compliment.

What's the point in anyone with any reasonable smidgin of a half decent idea posting about it when this is the response It gets. It saddens me and doesn't really want me to make any further contributions to the club.

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

... OK OK OK
Let's allow for a bit of discussion and comment shall we. Face to face there wouldn't be this problem I'm sure... It's all about how we read it.
Captain a good post inspiring others to try your method
Cov just saying there's still downsides or could be
Both valid... now several solutions have been proposed with pros & cons people can make their minds up for themselves which suits them. Maybe depending on state of ribbon & connectors when viewed close up for the first time :shock:

Thanks everyone it's all good :)
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1