What have I started....?

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Hoopy_Frood
80-90 Mem No: 12752

What have I started....?

Post by Hoopy_Frood »

The spoiler/bodykit on Marv was looking pretty knackered, with big holes in the front spoiler under the number plate and holes in the back spoiler for the Speedshop exhaust. I also replaced the sliding door which meant that one side had side planks and the other didn't. I'm starting to prefer the look without the bodykit, so I took off the driver's side sideplanks and found this underneath

Small circular holes??

The beginnings of a rust hole. Given the location (bottom of the B piller I think) how serious is this?

On the plus side, the sills don't seem to be too bad, so I've got that going for me...

I'm guessing that getting these holes welded up is the only way to go?
Also, would anyone like a slightly tatty set of side planks?

Thanks
Iain
1984 T25 Poptop EJ20 conversion

Dazco
80-90 Mem No: 10544
Location: Sheffield. 1984 autosleeper trooper. 1.9 petrol called Jambo

Re: What have I started....?

Post by Dazco »

Those things cover up lots of things. I had similar problems on jambo . Oh and I prefer the look, without planks..
Any holes will need welding .
Auto sleeper fitted with EJ 20 subaru lump

Hoopy_Frood
80-90 Mem No: 12752

Re: What have I started....?

Post by Hoopy_Frood »

Thanks, I really think they look better without the planks. I'd kind like to go with big bumpers and a step at the sliding door, but the price of the big bumpers pretty much rules that out. Simple, small black bumpers it will need to be...

Any holes will need welding.

I suspected as much.

I bought a mig last year, but haven't used it seriously yet (I've only had a play about in the garage with it on gasless mode) and have no gas (yet). My plan is to learn how to mig weld, but I don't think welding the B-pillar as a first job is a very sensible idea.

The hole in the side might be me worth trying though, after I've practised a while on some scrap steel. I have an old sliding door that's not much use to anyone, so I could use that to practice on and also use it for the repair patches. For the two circular holes, would it be better to cut a rectangle around the circles and make a repair patch to fit?
I imagine that will be easier than two smaller repairs??

I'm also assuming that I should drop my fuel tank before I put a torch anywhere near it - is that right?

Thanks
Iain
1984 T25 Poptop EJ20 conversion