Time for a modern sound system - any thoughts?

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: Time for a modern sound system - any thoughts?

Post by CovKid »

Radio via phone is an excellent idea. DAB just eats power otherwise.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

marlinowner
80-90 Mem No: 13646

Post by marlinowner »

Radio via 3G/4G might work in Media City, may not be quite as effective outside a major conurbation...
1993 SA VW T25/T3 2.5i Microbus/homebrew camper
1981/1968 Marlin Kitcar TR6 Engine

Cob20
80-90 Mem No: 13976

Post by Cob20 »

marlinowner wrote:Radio via 3G/4G might work in Media City, may not be quite as effective outside a major conurbation...

Fair point with the 3g/4g coverage, hopefully one day we will have full coverage like the rest of Europe. Until then theres always Spotify and Deezer to keep the music going (offline mode option obviously). :ok
1980 2.0l AFC Vanagon Westy

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

Crazy talk this is :? The idea of using a phone to do this, (or even worse, to stream video :shock: ) is just crazy in my experience. I have had 3 "smart phones" now and my latest is £450 worth of Sony. It's still totally cr@p. It's ok on my home network, but on "data" or those free "cloud" etc wireless networks, it's just so rubbish I don't even bother trying to use anything on the Internet at all, unless I really have to. The 2 previous (HTC) ones were the same (or worse). The thought of being able to watch BBC iPlayer etc on it is just total pie in the sky for me.

I fancy a DAB radio in the van though, for times when the radio 4 women's hour or the afternoon play comes on :evil: :roll: :? etc. I can flick to R4Extra or the World Service etc.
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

greasemonkey
80-90 Mem No: 14268

Post by greasemonkey »

Streaming is fine in a decent signal area. I often stream music on my commute, but it's on the M25 with mostly a 4G signal or 3G at worst, and have no issues at all.

I wouldn't rely on it when away from any decent coverage though.

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

No but there won't be many daft enough to put the stereo on when parked anyway - at least, not for long. Thats where a portable DAB (if you're into DAB) works best.

Incidentally, the stereo is best run from the leisure battery by default. That way if you do leave it on by mistake, the starter battery will be fine. Likewise if you have electric windows, they need to be on the leisure (ideally) too, unless you want to have to keep putting the key in the ignition just so you can wind the window down when parked. :D Most of these things you discover after endless overnight or even week-long camps where power considerations matter.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

Remember when the Delorean was first shown at the Motor Show and he got locked in because the battery had gone flat and the electric doors wouldn't open :roll:
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Remind me not to have a go at fitting gullwing doors. Mind you, you'd need a parking space ten foot wide :rofl

Smiffo
80-90 Mem No: 15151

Post by Smiffo »

CovKid wrote:No worries. What I like about it is you don't even have to hunt for phone. Could be in the glovebox. Doesn't matter as long as its actually switched on. Mic works fine if you're leant back in driving seat or even sat in the back. I've got one already but I always buy one when they come into ALDI and get reduced as someone always wants one. Shallow stereo so easily goes into stereo slot and as the music side is all memory cards, you can load it up with three days of music if you wanted to. CD players never reliable in a T25 due to damp and vibrations, so card-driven ideal.

Aux in, USB & flash card slots. When they first come in I think they're £39 but even then, its cheap for a great sounding unit with those facilities. If you ask store manager at your local ALDI, they may even have one out the back.

Thanks for the recommendation, CovKid...

I managed to get mine delivered today - it's all fitted via the leisure battery and working as I hoped..!!
I can recommend this to anyone else wanting a cheap head unit...

Lastly, the remote aspect will be cool when led in the pit in the back..!! :ok
'89 1.9 DG

“It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.” ~ Mark Twain.

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Biggest bonus for me is not having to fumble for the phone or mess with its volume control. I just never answered the phone whilst driving but now I can - if I choose to. Quality of reception via bluetooth depends (I've found) on connection both you and caller have, otherwise its damned useful. Hope you have many happy hours with it. :D

tonytech
80-90 Mem No: 477

Post by tonytech »

I have a dab receiver, also has cd /sd card, and usb.
It doesnt have hands Bluetooth free though.
Really great sound.
I've never put an ammeter on it, so ive no idea how hungry it is, (If I get a chance I will)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006 ... ge_o04_s00

T
There are 10 kinds of people. those who understand Binary and those who dont

pandkh
80-90 Mem No: 13031

Post by pandkh »

I did a full stero upgrade as a project at Christmas.

New head unit, digital 4 channel amp under passenger seat, sub woofer under drivers seat, new door cards , new set of component speakers in front doors( mids down low in original spot, tweeters near the window winder, passive crossover inside door)

I had already insulated floor and panels for sound. Left rear speakers in place for infill, fade the sound +5 to the front for staging.

Now the sound is awesome. The clarity is so much better, than before, even with the road noise at 65mph. Not that I ever do, but you can turn it up really really loud with no distortion at all.

Great little project. New nothing about hi-fi before starting. Learnt loads about electrics doing it. Rewired my whole leisure electrics in the process.

Do it!!!
1986 1.9 petrol water-cooled high top

bernard1973
80-90 Mem No: 4684

Post by bernard1973 »

I've had a few and this is the best I've had. It's mechless (doesn't play cds) but you can connect your ipod, memory stick, sd card etc. BUT, because it's mechless it's depth is much less than a normal unit so it doesn't stick out.
It also looks pretty retro and goes with the van..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/32146602 ... 108&ff19=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1988 1.9D (aef) Caravelle Firetruck

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

This one HERE looks good value for money at just £18 :shock: and it has the features of the Aldi one, ie all of the above plus Bluetooth connectivity.