White Underseal stuff???

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

volks_womble
80-90 Mem No: 13821

White Underseal stuff???

Post by volks_womble »

I have finally started attending to some of the rusty areas of our van.

To start of with, I have done the nearside step, welding in a repair panel, and some other patches - I will put up a proper progress thread shortly...

My intention is to go over all the welded edges with seam sealer, but the whole underside of the wheel arch seems to be covered in a white rubbery stuff, somewhere between seal sealer and underseal..

Any idea what this is, and where one might get some to replace what I have removed?

thanks
Mark
1989 1.9TDI (AFN) California
1990 2.1MV Syncro Atlantic

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Re: White Underseal stuff???

Post by what2do »

I believe this to be the genuine vw underseal, very very thick in places, especially the corners. Nearly an inch thick in places on my rear arches. Why on earth do you want to use that stuff again? It hides any corrosion that will appear in the future. I took loads of advice when doing mine as there are so many products on the market that do a superior job.
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

volks_womble

Post by volks_womble »

It seems like a nice hard wearing rubber coating tbh. OK, it hides the corrosion, but the corrosion hasn't started from the side with the underseal on. After 30 years it was bloody hard to get off, but hadn't suffered any breaks from stone chips or similar.

So what did you go for in the end...

Cheers
Mark

New Kentish Campers
80-90 Mem No: 8994

Post by New Kentish Campers »

Try this product, and then some wax injection fluid over it, once fully dry.

http://www.dinitroluk.com/stonechip-protection.php

I've replaced quite a few panels on our vans and quite often see rust problems where the factory 'stone chip' has parted company from the panel's factory applied electro-coat primer, allowing water to get trapped inside and then rust through, particularly on front wheel arches. :( The stone chip paint will give good protection from stones,etc, and annual applications of a wax injection fluid can only help protect your bodywork as it will creep into any little crevices. Some people use old engine oil, but I've no experience of that.

Hope that helps you. :ok

volks_womble

Post by volks_womble »

Have used dinitrol cavity wax in the past, and it works well.

One of the stonechip products has a zinc anit rust element to it, so might give that a go...

ta
Mark

boardmonkey
80-90 Mem No: 6853

Post by boardmonkey »

New Kentish Campers wrote:Try this product, and then some wax injection fluid over it, once fully dry.

I've replaced quite a few panels on our vans and quite often see rust problems where the factory 'stone chip' has parted company from the panel's factory applied electro-coat primer, allowing water to get trapped inside and then rust through, particularly on front wheel arches. :( The stone chip paint will give good protection from stones,etc, and annual applications of a wax injection fluid can only help protect your bodywork as it will creep into any little crevices. Some people use old engine oil, but I've no experience of that.

So do you just jet wash the underside and slap on the Dinitrol ?
eBay 4 cans for 37.00

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-DINITROL- ... 4acb443e5a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers, Richard
''Nellie'' born 01/87 Hannover WV2ZZZ25ZHH067456 now fitting with a new heart EJ25 N/A

volks_womble

Post by volks_womble »

OK, I have changed my mind! What bloody awful stuff! :shock: :shock:

I will be getting as much off as I can as I make repairs, but I will probably try some of the dinitrol stonechip once I have finished chopping bits out of the van...

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Post by what2do »

Good luck removing the proxy stuff. In the corners, I found it easier to use a hot air gun and scraper, took a while but got there in the end.
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

New Kentish Campers

volks_womble wrote:OK, I have changed my mind! What bloody awful stuff! :shock: :shock:

I will be getting as much off as I can as I make repairs, but I will probably try some of the dinitrol stonechip once I have finished chopping bits out of the van...

Sorry, I should have added that you should apply some etch primer to the bare metal before you put anything else on. You can buy the 2 pack version in a litre can plus 500ml of hardener and apply it with a brush. Remember though that once the hardener is mixed with the primer, you have a 'pot life' of some 20 odd minutes so only mix enough for what you need as it will cure into a solid block :x . Remember too that you should use the correct H&S apparel with any 2 pack product. [Don't know about isocynate free stuff though] :ok

New Kentish Campers

boardmonkey wrote:
New Kentish Campers wrote:Try this product, and then some wax injection fluid over it, once fully dry.

So do you just jet wash the underside and slap on the Dinitrol ?
eBay 4 cans for 37.00

Yes, it would be best to get as much of the crud off as possible before you apply it. Also, Dynax is another great product. Anything that 'creeps' is what you want so it can seep into any little cracks and crevices so as to give a good degree of protection :ok

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-DINITROL- ... 4acb443e5a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers, Richard

volks_womble

Post by volks_womble »

Richard, cheers. The dinitrol products you posted links to are all single-pack, so should be safe.

Generally, everything gets a coat of primer first, then seam sealer on the joins.

;)
Cheers
Mark