voltage drop to fuse box.

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: voltage drop to fuse box.

Post by CovKid »

Never seen one like that Oldie. Mind you, you've then got the added hassle of having to remove them all to pull the battery off. I'm not sure why I didn't think of reorganising all these cables in the first place. The trouble with having so many is over time, cables begin fraying or connections weaken everytime they get moved. Its even worse if battery is under the seat as the potential for shorts via the seat increases. These marine junctions are easy to work with though. Bit of a faff soldering lugs but once done, it makes life a lot easier.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

123-jn
80-90 Mem No: 12161

Post by 123-jn »

I have made my own batter connectors using 8mm copper tube. Squash one end about 10mm long in a vice and drill a nice 8 mm hole through it. The internal diameter of the remainder is dead right for 16mm cable. so cut off about 10mm along and solder on as usual and hey presto. If you use smaller cable you can cut a slit across behind the flattened bit and lengthways to the other end and bend over thr newly created flaps onto the cable and then solder.
123-jn Autohomes Komet 2.1 DJ AUTO 1989 (closed loop LPG pierburg 2E3)
- Citroen C4 Picasso 1.6 HDi

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Heres my battery with 300amp-rated junction box fixed to seat base wall. There is now only one connection at battery positive. The box also supplies headlight relays, blower and radiator fan via one of the thick red 16mm wires which goes underneath the vehicle and comes up behind headlight grill to an identical junction box. The existing bullet fusebox carries nothing heavy now - its just a row of 8amp fuses so thats being swapped for a smaller blade-fusebox.

Need to hoover though! :roll:

The even thicker green/yellow cable which supplies all this runs to starter and alternator.

Voltage drop? What voltage drop? :twisted:

Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

123-jn
80-90 Mem No: 12161

Post by 123-jn »

Nice and neat covkid, unfortunately as someone has welded my seat swivel bases to the old runners access to my battery is rather tighter but I would like to try something similar. I have run a new 16mm cable to the front fuse box and plan to run another to a post under the dash to supply the headlights. I have ordered a couple of those great two pin isolated posts then I can tidy things up a bit.
123-jn Autohomes Komet 2.1 DJ AUTO 1989 (closed loop LPG pierburg 2E3)
- Citroen C4 Picasso 1.6 HDi

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Well you can always sling the box under the seat rather than mount it. Shouldn't foul anything. Its nice to whittle things down to one battery connection. Well done on getting the cable through. I couldn't find a spot (at the moment) to mount box under dash but its insulated so tucked it up out the way for now. I was astonished at just how damned bright my lights are on that cable. Not so sure about refitting the nightbreaker bulbs now. Seem bright enough as they are. Took a run round tonight and they were plenty bright enough, although I'm using modern reflectors so maybe thats enough.