Starter Question

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

chrisevans

Starter Question

Post by chrisevans »

After my "New" ATX starter from GSF lasted less than two years before it could hardly turn over the engine, I being tight of pocket bought one from eBay from a german supplier which is rated @ .9kw for £65 outright with a 3 year warranty.

1st question - the starter is visibly smaller than the one I have taken off - I guess its less powerful as a result.It seems to do an ok job today in a few degrees of cold? Are there two possible sizes of starter for a 2.1 DJ?
2. When i took the ATX starter I ran it off the battery on the floor and it seemed to run slower and slower until it stopped - is this because it wasn't mounted in the gearbox and isn't supported ?

If this ends up playing up again I will use the ATX as a core for a Hella recon from Brick Werks.

I changed the oily bush when I changed the ATX. Battery is a New Varta Silver. 73AH.

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Re: Starter Question

Post by ghost123uk »

That new one sounds good value for money :) Gizza link to it ;)

chrisevans wrote:
1st question - the starter is visibly smaller than the one I have taken off - I guess its less powerful as a result.It seems to do an ok job today in a few degrees of cold? Are there two possible sizes of starter for a 2.1 DJ?

No. As far as I know, and have seen, they are all the same except for year based variation on the length of the electrical connector studs. The new one may be smaller because it might be one of these new "rare earth magnet" type motors, which are actually more powerful.

chrisevans wrote:2. When i took the ATX starter I ran it off the battery on the floor and it seemed to run slower and slower until it stopped - is this because it wasn't mounted in the gearbox and isn't supported ?

Yes. You didn't do your wiki research did you :tsk You should never run a WBX starter motor off the van as one end is no longer supported and the insides are then free to "thrash" around, causing damage.

chrisevans wrote:I changed the oily bush when I changed the ATX. Battery is a New Varta Silver. 73AH.

:ok
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

You ran it off the engine with no support for the shaft? :shock: Oh no! :shock: If you are lucky you may not have damaged it too much. :shock:
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Beaten to it!
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

And I shouldn't even be here, I'm supposed to be preparing Sunday dinner. Comes of having a laptop in the "room where I do the cooking" (stupid word changing filter, I still maintain it's just silly :roll:)
Last edited by ghost123uk on 08 Feb 2015, 14:57, edited 1 time in total.
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Post by what2do »

Keep an eye on the beef please John, I don't like mine too well done :ok
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

chrisevans

Post by chrisevans »

Chances are it knackered anyway as it wouldn't kick the engine over when hot. Will do for a core though .http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1153011308