Late model adjustable headlights

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Synkraut
80-90 Mem No: 9894

Late model adjustable headlights

Post by Synkraut »

Hi everyone,

the following situation: I bought a 1991 syncro doka from Sweden last year and so far haven't gotten around to registering it for German traffic (have done some pimping, wheels, brakes,..). However , I did a little homework and spoke to the registration authorities (TÜV) and got a vehicle data sheet from VW and the following little problem popped up: from Jan 1990 on, every new vehicle in Germany was required to have electically adjustable headlights. Since the T25 had been in production for some years, they were granted an 11 month period to adapt to this regulation, but from Dec. 1990 on, it was mandatory.

As the car was delivered new to Sweden in 1991 and the they didn't have that rule there, this extra was not installed. Now I could either get an excempt permission (for a relatively high fee :evil: ) or retrofit the whole thing. Since the components (switch, motors (attenuators?)) were used for a lot of VW vehicles (Golf 2, Jetta, Passat 35i,...) in the early 90s, I decided to install this gadget. My questions here are: does anyone here in the forum have this in their T25 and could they post a picture which shows where the switch is situated? Also, a wiring diagramm might be helpfull (it's not in the Bentley).

Thank you for any info.
Cheers, André

'89 T3 GL syncro, 2.1 MV
'91 T3 doka syncro, 2.2 Subaru
http://www.feine-tapeten.de" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Re: Late model adjustable headlights

Post by lloydy »

Ive never heard of this? Does the regulation come in by build date or registration date? Only asking as my registration is 1992 but the build date is late 1989. Could get you around the problem?..
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

Synkraut

Post by Synkraut »

was built in '91
Cheers, André

'89 T3 GL syncro, 2.1 MV

donciuz
80-90 Mem No: 10995

Post by donciuz »

LLE models came with adjustable headlights as standart equipment. My mate owns one so I could ask him to take some photos.
A long shot but have a look on ebay. Maybe you find a set.
1990 VW Vanagon Westfalia California 1.6TD (now 1.9 TDI 90bhp)

Synkraut

Post by Synkraut »

Hey Doncluz,

yes a picture would be great! The components are not the Problem: The switch:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/VW-Bus-T3-Schalt ... 2a40b52cfd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The motor/attenuator:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/vw-BUS-t3-LWR-mo ... 259ef5f916" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Both items are available cheaper if you don't look for T3/T25 parts but for those from Passat,Vento, Golf,...
I already bought the switch (with cables) from a Passat 35i. With the motors, it's just a matter of replacing the original half plastic/half metal adjusting screw with the motor units and hooking them up. Shouldn't be much of a problem.

Apart from the parts being relativly cheap, I find a dashboard headlight regulation quite usefull, especially for the doka. I might want to put some load on the cargo area and don't want to end up blinding other drivers ;)
Cheers, André

'89 T3 GL syncro, 2.1 MV

donciuz
80-90 Mem No: 10995

Post by donciuz »

Ok. So my mate made some pictures as he has his headlights out of the van. It is how the actual motor is fixed to the headlight.
Hope it helps. The position of the switch in the dashboard can be seen in any of the lle adverts on the net. It is situated in the left hand side of the steering wheel.
1990 VW Vanagon Westfalia California 1.6TD (now 1.9 TDI 90bhp)

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Post by syncroandy »

Interesting project ! When I read this I reached for my original VW folder with all the wiring diagrams, thinking 'I can help, I'll just scan and post it up !'. Unfortunately my diagram set only goes up the 1990 model year, so it misses the headlight range adjustment, which presumably was a very late addition.

However, Classicparts are still listing the special version of the front wiring harness for vehicles with headlight range control, so it is an option to buy and fit a brand new harness which would be plug-and-play. There are quite an easy harness to fit. There are two versions shown , one for regular vans, and one for Carat, which will have connectors for twin headlights and twin horns. I would get the Carat version.

Regular: 251 971 072 BC 172.07 €
Carat: 255 971 072 M 172.07 €

Without the diagram, I don't know if this harness includes everything you will need, certainly it will connect all the front external components to the relay plate. I don't know if includes the connector for the control switch, but there is no special dash harness shown for this, so the switch connector may be part of the front harness. If you could find a copy of the wiring diagram that would tell you either way.

HTH
Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

This is the wiring diagram. It is for RHD but shouldn't make a difference.

1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Post by syncroandy »

Great ! Just checked my folder, it IS in there, the very last one, but its just not listed in the index.

That shows a direct connection from the front external motors to the switch, so the switch connector is a part of the special front harness. However, with that diagram, if you can find the correct terminal housings, you should be able to make up a harness just for the range-control. You already have the switch connector, the motors use:
311 906 231 B Flat contact housing 3-pin
281 919 141 A Protective cap 3-pin
Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

Synkraut

Post by Synkraut »

Great stuff! :ok

Thank you guys for the info. Should be an easy enough job to get this installed.

I'll let you know when I have all the parts together how it went and post a few pictures.
Cheers, André

'89 T3 GL syncro, 2.1 MV

adyjoad
80-90 Mem No: 10668

Post by adyjoad »

Here's where the switch lives

adyjoad

Post by adyjoad »

And as if by magic looked what just popped up on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Bus-T3-T25 ... 463407b290" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Synkraut

Post by Synkraut »

Haha I believe that everyone has a right to make a living but that switch can also be bought directly from VW Classicparts:

http://shop.volkswagen-classic-parts.de ... 1333b.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So your Ebayseller NKAutomotive just added 20 pounds to the regular retail price :shock:
Cheers, André

'89 T3 GL syncro, 2.1 MV

adyjoad

Post by adyjoad »

Oooh that's cheeky!