Engine backfiring and won't turn over

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

woksta
80-90 Mem No: 0

Engine backfiring and won't turn over

Post by woksta »

Hello,
I bought a 1.9l petrol 1983 watercooled 2 years ago and it was running rough lately- it had gained a "tick" whenever the accelerator was pushed down and whenever this tick happened i could see the HT lead to the ignition coil was arcing with the contacts of the coil itself. Because of this, i decided to buy new plugs, leads and distro cap. During replacement, i saw a lump of copper about an inch long and quarter inch wide inside the ignition coil where the HT lead would normally make contact so i removed this and put in the lead. Since i replaced everything, all the van will do is breifly tick over, backfire hard and then shut off. I have tested the ig coil and the ohm levels seem okay which i thought to be the initial culprit. I'm stumped as to what else it could be
Any help would be mighty appreciated

BOXY
80-90 Mem No: 8826

Re: Engine backfiring and won't turn over

Post by BOXY »

Leads on the wrong plugs.
2ltr Aircooled CU with twin Solex's & originally a 009 dizzie, but now back to standard.

woksta

Post by woksta »

Cheers, I'll have a gander in the morning. Oh and how do i know which lead goes where? they all look identical to me
As you can probably tell i'm quite new to all this :oops:

BOXY
80-90 Mem No: 8826

Post by BOXY »

Have a look in the wiki. I can't link you to the right section as I'm on my phone.
2ltr Aircooled CU with twin Solex's & originally a 009 dizzie, but now back to standard.

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

1-4-3-2

AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

woksta

Post by woksta »

Cheers guys, looks like you're right- i think i got 1 and 2 all mixed up

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Post by what2do »

kevtherev wrote:1-4-3-2

I could do with that tattooed somewhere as I can never remember it.
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

Next time you lift the hatch take a permanent marker and write on the dizzy cap 1, 4, 3, 2
Then write on the heads or hatch/engine compartment the cylinder pattern as above.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Post by what2do »

itchyfeet wrote:Next time you lift the hatch take a permanent marker and write on the dizzy cap 1, 4, 3, 2
Then write on the heads or hatch/engine compartment the cylinder pattern as above.

To be honest, as long as you remember this stuff I'll be alright :rofl :rofl :rofl
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

woksta wrote: During replacement, i saw a lump of copper about an inch long and quarter inch wide inside the ignition coil where the HT lead would normally make contact so i removed this

There are 2 types of connector, one has a "lump of copper about an inch long and quarter inch wide" inside and this slides into a receptacle in the lead. The other (earlier) type has a "C" shaped springy copper sleeve at the coil and dizzy ends. I am wondering if maybe you either have the wrong leads or simply shouldn't have removed that pin thing. Plus of course it does sound like you have the leads on the wrong way round. For future reference, it is better to do one at a time, that way you can't really get it wrong.
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

woksta

Post by woksta »

Yep, cheers guys it was the goddamned leads being the wrong way round. Still sounds pretty rough but actually driveable now, might go get an expert opinion on the knocking noise once i've scraped up the funds

woksta

Post by woksta »

ghost123uk wrote: There are 2 types of connector, one has a "lump of copper about an inch long and quarter inch wide" inside and this slides into a receptacle in the lead. The other (earlier) type has a "C" shaped springy copper sleeve at the coil and dizzy ends. I am wondering if maybe you either have the wrong leads or simply shouldn't have removed that pin thing. Plus of course it does sound like you have the leads on the wrong way round. For future reference, it is better to do one at a time, that way you can't really get it wrong.
I think whoever had the van before me bodged that copper in there, the new leads look exactly like the old ones and the one going into the ig coil fits snugly and works- still a bit unnerving though, found a whole lot of brown filth inside when i disconnected the plug. Could actually be a source of its rough running but i would have no idea how to get the cap off to clean it :s